Ready to Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonSmitty

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch about 40 years ago. I wasn't impressed with my results so the home-brew hobby didn't last. That changed last week when my son and I brewed a 5gal ale at a local brew hobby shop. As this first batch is fermenting (we bottle on Thursday), we are ready to jump in and get another one going. That mean buying the equipment and ingredients. We have a couple local home brew shops for supplies that are 15-20 minutes away but I'm thinking they are kind of pricy. I'd be interested to find where most of you get your supplies from (local, internet, etc.). I'm just getting started reading the forum as well. Cheers!

Personally I use midwestsupplies.com or northernbrewer.com, although Northern Brewer stopped the $7.99 flat rate shipping.

I got a "starter" kit from my local supply store for 110$ with two 8 gallon fermenting buckets, one lid, one air lock, a two handed bottle capper, 110 bottle caps, a mash spoon, and a grain bag. I think that's a pretty good deal, my LHBS also gives 20% off your first recipe if you purchase the kit so I got all ingredients and bottles for my entire batch for around 200$. I would rather support my LHBS than order online since I can always run there and buy something I've forgotten or need without having to pay shipping. Also most LHBS employees actually brew beer and can give you pointers if you call and ask.

I would recommend buying your kit from the LHBS, even if you spend a little more. They will be able to help you in a pinch, my local guys kept the store open for me late when I desparately needed a 2nd blowoff tube for my 1st 10g batch.

Of course, I have an awesome LHBS, the Brew Hut- if youre's isn't so helpful, MoreBeer, NB, MW are all great.

Thanks TheBrewFather06 and Cyclman. I ended up buying half my equipment/supplies from my local wine and brew hobby store and half from Bells & Morebeer. Brewed a DIPA (Pliny clone) that is now in the primary. Will dry hop in another week. Thanks again for the info. :mug:

Back