Pliny the Elder questions and clone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperpots_Brewing

Reaction score
I took the Pliny the Elder clone recipe off of Brew365. Has anyone tried that recipe? I’ve yet to try the original since it’s not distributed in my area, so I figured I’d try the clone until I got my hands on the real stuff. I just wanted to check the validity of the clone.
Also, after I put the recipe into iBrewMaster and Beersmith, it comes out as 200+ IBU, but I was listening to a Jamil Show Podcast and they were talking about it being 68IBU, IIRC. Is that a perceived bitterness vs. actual math, or does the professional equipment handle bitterness different than a homebrew system?
Just trying to answer some questions bouncing around in my head!

Here's the recipe I use to clone it: http://farmhousebrewingsupply.fmtemp.com/ProdImages/1Pliny%20the%20Elder%20clone%20PDF-1.pdf. This is one of the recipes that Vinne of Russian River has put out there for his beer.

As JZ has said, there's no bitterness equation that can truly calculate the exact IBU of a beer. Most are estimates. So stick with one equation and learn how that works for you. The actual measured IBU of this beer is around 100 IBU. I haven't brewed the Brew365 recipe, but I have brewed the one I linked above and it's amazing. Easily one of the best I've made, and I have another set of hops in the freezer waiting for a re-brew.

Good luck!

I actually am cloning this right now. It's been fermenting for a week now and it smells AMAZING already!! I will keep everyone informed on the process.

Back