Question about starter life?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howlinowl

Reaction score
Last night, I made my starter in anticipation of brewing on Sunday. So, today it got a nice foam on top and yeast layer on the bottom. Wouldn't you know it, my wife informs me now that she has plans for me on Sunday and I won't be able to brew. Unfortunatly, I have to do yard work Saturday, grass is gettin' long and I gotta cut it before code enforcement comes by to cite me. I was wondering if I can hold on to my starter for another week? Would it be fine as is, or could I just keep "feeding" it DME and water to stretch it out? Worse comes to worse, I'd just have to trash it and have some more shipped, but it's like 8 bucks shipping plus the cost of the yeast....

Any advise?
Thanks
Allan

pretty sure you want to feed it every few days, and probably move it into a larger vessel so you can also add more sterilized water. otherwsie you can put too much DME in and push the alcohol beyond the yeasts tolerance.

The #1 reason for making a starter is to prove you have good yeast. Your starter did that.

Put an airlock on it and place it in the fridge. It'll be good even next week.

Just remove it from the fridge the morning of your brewing session so it can warm up to room temp for pitching.

Thx. I thought it might be alright, from what I've read about yeast washing, they store those for a few weeks at a time. But I wasn't sure. Also been reading some about yeast cultivating from bottles... figured if worse came to worse I'd just treat these as very large bottle cultivations and add the appropriate DME and water. Probably Sunday, when I would have pitched, I'll stick 'em in the kegerator and keep 'em till next week.

Thanks again,
Allan

Back