Navy Drill Team - Incredible

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, that stuff is cool and all, and not to start some flame war, but couldn't those training hours have been spent on say, tactical training?

chillHayze said:
Ok, that stuff is cool and all, and not to start some flame war, but couldn't those training hours have been spent on say, tactical training?

not flamming ya but you have no idea how the navy works do ya? Tactical training in the Navy usually consists of figuring out the fastest way to the coffee machine . . . not a slam on the Navy (5 year Navy vet myself) but they usually dont let the enlisted guys make tactical decisions with their boats . . .

chillHayze said:

The big thing about drill is that it teaches discipline, and also respects the customs and courtesies of the service.

Every person enlisted in every branch of the U.S. Armed Forces goes through extensive drill training during thier careers. It teaches a group to work as a team and is a great self discipline training aid.

I'd imagine many of those guys are doing that in thier free time. They more than likely have "real" jobs and are doing those as well.

Say what you will, but the Air Force has dedicated jobs as Honor Guard and the A.F. Band, and the people that do those jobs are far more talented and dedicated than 99% of the people in "real" Air Force jobs.

Military .com has some awesome drills from Navy and Marine Corps. Brings a tear to my eye to see. Especially since Navy just kicked some Army A$$........26 - 14. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NAVY!

When I served in the USAF I was on the precision marching team. It was something that was done on our own, off duty hours and was done just for the satisfaction of accomplishment, respect for, and desire to carry on a tradition of excellence. I look back on it with pride, and I'm not bragging when I say that we were damn good. Nothing like those squids :D , JUST KIDDING! My Dad is retired Navy :mug: I just marched. It did take a lot of practice to do the precision movements that we did, but the stuff with the rifles is really impressive.

Sure I could have done what most of my peers were doing at the time, like getting drunk every day of the week, and wasting an opportunity to better themselves, but I digress.

John

Awesome, right up there with the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington.

Ya I don't mean any speak against any of our service men and women, and you guys make good points about the discipline and teamwork aspects. Military just isn't my cup o' tea. That's what's great about our country! Cheers all and goodnight.

I had the pleasure of getting to see a performance of the Marine Corps silent drill team at Parris Island when my daughter graduated from boot camp. Thet were f###ing impressive. Every foot hits at the same time, all you hear is the one 'click' of the shoes on pavement.

2nd Street Brewery said:
I had the pleasure of getting to see a performance of the Marine Corps silent drill team at Parris Island when my daughter graduated from boot camp. Thet were f###ing impressive. Every foot hits at the same time, all you hear is the one 'click' of the shoes on pavement.

If any of you guys around the Milwaukee / Chicago area want to see a good dril team head to a Great Lakes Recruit Training Command graduation some Friday. What makes it even more impressive is that their drill team is made of of recruits (called a 900 company). What they do is upon arrival they ask if anyone has training in music, singing or drill and then they put them into a 900 company and extend their boot camp for 1 - 3 weeks (to fill the company) and then things are like normal . . . except we didnt have to carry rifles everywhere like the rest of the companys and when the other companys had some down time we were in the drill hall 6-12 hours a day

Pumbaa said:
If any of you guys around the Milwaukee / Chicago area want to see a good dril team head to a Great Lakes Recruit Training Command graduation some Friday. What makes it even more impressive is that their drill team is made of of recruits (called a 900 company). What they do is upon arrival they ask if anyone has training in music, singing or drill and then they put them into a 900 company and extend their boot camp for 1 - 3 weeks (to fill the company) and then things are like normal . . . except we didnt have to carry rifles everywhere like the rest of the companys and when the other companys had some down time we were in the drill hall 6-12 hours a day

I was on one of those drill teams... company 948. :D

Latest posts

Back