Saison yeast VERY slow ferment...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phan71

Reaction score
I brewed a Saison two weeks ago and I'm still waiting for it to finish fermenting. This is my first time with this yeast - the Wyeast Saison - so I'm not sure what to expect. I was told this yeast could take a while, but after two weeks it's only down to 1.026 (O.G. was 1.058). My expected F.G. is 1.008, but I'd be happy if it gets down to around 1.012-1.014. (FWIW, the temp started around 84º and stabilized at 77º after about a day. It's been there ever since.)

Anyway, has anyone out there used this yeast? How long should I expect this to take? I've got a couple packets of Nottingham dry and packet of Munton's dry. Should I throw one of those in there, or just wait?

I'd like to brew again next weekend, but I don't know if my primary will be free by then!

Thanks.

Belgians are pokey. Buy another fermenter. :p

My wit took 3 weeks to finish.. I expect 4 weeks at least for a Saison. Maybe even 6. Though. I've heard if you warm it up above 80 (bath tub with warm water?) it will usually rock out to 1.006-ish in under a week. So you might try warming it up.

I've used white labs saison blend before. It took awhile too. Did you use yeast nutrient? Always use it unless you want a slow fermentation. It's not a hugely popular yeast so it's possible you got an old culture. Try shaking up the container to get the yeast back into solution and aerate it. Aeration is very important for yeast growth. Dissolve some yeast nutrient in water and add it if you haven't already.

I did use yeast nutrients in the batch. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to add some more.

I've been hoping the temperature would rise above 80º in the room where it's sitting. Unfortunately, it hasn't been that hot lately. Every other time I'm fighting with the temperature and running the air in this room constantly. It figures that the one time I want it to be warm in here it isn't.

Is it safe to aerate again after it's been fermenting? I thought you really weren't supposed to do that.

Yeah, I just give it a good minute or so long shake. It will be ok. They are probably talking about actual aeration with an air pump and stuff. That would indeed be a bad idea.

Good suggestion.. Giving the fermenter a shake to get the yeast back to work is a good idea since most Belgian strains seem to flocculate before they are done.

Or you could do what OhioBrewtus did and put a Cartman on your fermenter. :)

When you say "Wyeast Saison" I'm assuming you mean 3724 (aka WLP565), correct? If so, get that temperature up around 90F if you can. I know pros who pitch this yeast at 90F and let it go with the jackets off. I pitched mine at 75F and ramped up to 90F over a week. The head brewer where I work wouldn't believe that I fermented it that hot once he tasted it. It had none of the normal hot-fermentation flavors.

Actually there isn't anything wrong with 3 to 5 week fermentation. Many times a longer fermentation means you will retain more of the Apple flavor. I haven't tried the Wyeast Saison yeast, but I think I will look into that one next.

Back