Baked my wort to 127 degrees. any salvation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnbrewer31

Reaction score
I brewed last Monday one of my favorites, a Columbus IPA. Did a nice yeast starter. Left the carboy in the garage since it was about the right temp. Decided to move it downstairs to the cellar as it was supposed to get warm the next day. hooked it up to my digital ctrlr and my heat wrap to keep it a nice 68. Came back the following day and discovered that I had put the ctrlr in cool mode instead of heat. It was 127 degrees when I found it. Anyone think this is salvageable? Was thinking about cooling it to 68 (done that) and repitching a new yeast starter to see if it will clean it up. Am I wasting my $6 for a repitch or should I use my new yeast on a new batch that I know is good?

I would pitch some new yeast on that puppy and see what you get out the other end. I'd opt for a cheap dry yeast like us05. Most importantly, report back how it turns out if you repitch :D

I've never had a good experience with pitched yeast being over heated and killed. There are off flavors produced as the wort slowly heats and fries the yeast. Hate to say it, but I would not waste the new yeast.

I've never had a good experience with pitched yeast being over heated and killed. There are off flavors produced as the wort slowly heats and fries the yeast. Hate to say it, but I would not waste the new yeast.

I would, unfortunately, have to agree. Those sorts of temps can produce a lot of nastiness before the yeast finally expires.

What temp is your celler? Most ale yeasts do quite well in the 63-65*F range (beer temp, not air). There's no need at all to warm it on up to 68*F during the first 4-5 days or so of fermentation.

You may want to cold crash, then rack off the yeast before repitching since autolysis may actually be a concern at these higher temps.

Thanks to all who offered an opinion.
I popped the top on the carboy and noticed some very off-smells.
It was suggested that I taste it. After the smell test, I opted to pass on the taste test. Dumped it and used my new yeast starter to rebrew my Columbus, which I have taken much better care of. Thanks again to all.

Thanks for the update.

Best wishes on this new batch turning out very tasty.:mug:

Back