Dry Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrodmfish

Reaction score
I'm about to make a Black IPA and the recipe calls for dry hopping after fermentation. I normally don't use a secondary, but instead go straight to keg. I've also never dry hopped before and so my question is, can I throw a nylon hop bag in the keg when I transfer out of the primary, or do I have to use a secondary?

You can throw the hops right in the primary, use a hop bag in the primary(you obviously have to sanitize the bag), or do one of those in a secondary. I don't dy hop much but when I do I drink Dos... wait, I just throw the hop pellets in the primary. I am a lazy brewer.

I have dry hopped without a bag in the primary. I like the simplicity, but it was a pain to siphon into the bottling bucket. My siphon started bubbling a lot towards the end as the hops got sucked towards the siphon. I don't know if this would oxidize the beer, but I stopped at this point to avoid oxidation...lost about 5 beers to this. I highly suggest using the nylon bag.

I have heard that dry hopping in the primary is less affective, but I didn't find this to be the case, although my experience is limited.

I have dry hopped without a bag in the primary. I like the simplicity, but it was a pain to siphon into the bottling bucket. My siphon started bubbling a lot towards the end as the hops got sucked towards the siphon. I don't know if this would oxidize the beer, but I stopped at this point to avoid oxidation...lost about 5 beers to this. I highly suggest using the nylon bag.

I have heard that dry hopping in the primary is less affective, but I didn't find this to be the case, although my experience is limited.

I have dry hopped in primary with great results. The trick is to attach a sanitized nylon cloth bag to the end of the siphon that is not in the carboy. Having the nylon filter on the siphon end will result in lots of air bubbles towards the end.

Rainhard said:
I have dry hopped in primary with great results. The trick is to attach a sanitized nylon cloth bag to the end of the siphon that is not in the carboy. Having the nylon filter on the siphon end will result in lots of air bubbles towards the end.

Do you mean on the actual hose end that is in your bucket? Does the siphon ever get clogged?

exactly. I put it on the hose end that is being transfered into the bottling bucket. I give it a bunch of slack so that it can fill up with hops at it comes out without getting clogged up.

Rainhard said:
exactly. I put it on the hose end that is being transfered into the bottling bucket. I give it a bunch of slack so that it can fill up with hops at it comes out without getting clogged up.

I can't believe I didn't think of that last time. You rock!

Back