more question before brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barniclebob12

Reaction score
Before I start another batch, I wanted to get couple more questions answered.

1) Do I need to boil water that will be mixing with wort before going into carboy?
I do not mean water i'll be using to making wort. I hear some people using bottled water. (gasp) I'm not sure If I can afford to use bottled water for brewing. kinda pricey.

2) While fermenting Do they need to be in absolute darkness? or some sunlight contact is acceptable.

3) After reading few threads, people seem to start their one hour timer after hotbreak. What is good way to tell hotbreak occurred. I just assumed after big boilover happens, I skim things floating on top. When its no longer boiling over I assumed it was hotbreak.

Anyone got good suggestion for good recipe? Since my three failure in a row I need a rocking success on my next batch. All the recipe I have searched seem all alike. If the world was going to end within next couple minute, what would ya drink?

barniclebob12 said:
Before I start another batch, I wanted to get couple more questions answered.

1) Do I need to boil water that will be mixing with wort before going into carboy?
I do not mean water i'll be using to making wort. I hear some people using bottled water. (gasp) I'm not sure If I can afford to use bottled water for brewing. kinda pricey.

I use supermarket bottled water and buy around 6 gallons which costs me under $5.
While fermenting Do they need to be in absolute darkness? or some sunlight contact is acceptable.
Sunlight = "no good." I put a dark colored tee shirt over the carboy. If you have a plastic bucket I don't think it matters.

After reading few threads, people seem to start their one hour timer after hotbreak.
I have been doing that but don't think I will be anymore. I don't have a real good reason other than I don't see it as being that monumental. Palmer mentions waiting for the hotbreak but if you read closely I think he may be implying that adding hops may increase the hot break and it is better to do it later than adding to an already possible boil over. The added boil time won't hurt.
I may add my hops at the start of the boil next time although I have heard that 90 minutes is better for hop utilization in an extract boil. Then again I do a late addition extract.

[
Sunlight = "no good." I put a dark colored tee shirt over the carboy. If you have a plastic bucket I don't think it matters.

Another benifit of brewing is the comprimis with me and SWMBO about all the ratty t-shirts that I love, but she will not be seen with me while wearing.

If you use treated tap water and it is okay to drink then you don't need to preboil. boiling takes out 02 that the yeast need.

2) While fermenting Do they need to be in absolute darkness? or some sunlight contact is acceptable.

Direct strong sunlight is not good, Ambient daylight isn't too bad. I've never had a problem,

3) After reading few threads, people seem to start their one hour timer after hotbreak. What is good way to tell hotbreak occurred. I just assumed after big boilover happens, I skim things floating on top. When its no longer boiling over I assumed it was hotbreak.

Correct apart from the no longer boiling bit.

Anyone got good suggestion for good recipe? Since my three failure in a row I need a rocking success on my next batch. All the recipe I have searched seem all alike. If the world was going to end within next couple minute, what would ya drink

It depends what you like. I would go for my Hob Goblin for a last drink.
I don't post recipes that are not good, try some of the ones you see talked about on here, look at peoples signatures and recioes from some other more experienced guys. Lots of styles to choose from

Back