Dry hopping mishaps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salizar

Reaction score
I brewed a IPA recently and it was my first experience with dry hopping. The LHBS guy said to either just put the hops in or put them in a hop bag but make sure to weigh it down with something like a stainless steel bolt. So that's what I did or at least thats what I thought I did, turns out it wasn't stainless steel, which I discovered when the bolt came out quite corroded and stained, and now my beer has a distinct metallic taste. My question is will this clear up over time or am I better off dumping the brew now. Thank you for any feedback.

It sounds like metal is dissolved in solution. Other flavors MIGHT (but probably won't) mask it, but it'll always be there.

... I would think.

If it was a good 316 grade SS bolt, it would have been OK but you probably just grabbed a shiny new plain steel one. Then again, maybe cheap 18-2 stainless tarnishes in beer. A good way to test for quality stainless is to dip in salty water and leave it sit to dry overnight. Make sure there isn't a coating of light oil on it at the time.

Bobby

Worse yet -

if your bolt was galvanized steel, (which will also rust, especially when in contact with alcohol and acids), correct me if I'm wrong somebody, but I believe galvanizing steel still involves using a small amount of lead.

I'd steer away from it if it were me...

Sorry man... kill some slugs with it perhaps.

kvh.

Back