sour smell hef

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeinog

Reaction score
im doing my first hef and transfered to my secondary today. besides the very delightful bannanna smell there was also a somewhat sour smell i noticed that i havent had with any other beer ive done. is this normal or should i be a little worried. i was out of town for a few days and my fiancee turned the heater on in the house. im worried the beer temp may have rose kinda high as i didnt have it in a water bath since we where in freezeing temps in vegas. any thoughts.

I make alot of Hefes. I have had a few that had a sour taste/smell when I racked them to my keg, but were perfectly fine a few weeks later. I can't explain it, but if I were you, I'd just stick with it and it will likely condition out.

was it a sour citrus smell??? I've had that with a few hefeweizens that tasted fine after a week or so in the bottles

Was it sour or closer to rotten egg? I havent done a hefe but im brewing an american wheat right now and i noticed an off sour smell so i gave the airlock a good whiff and realized it was more a sulfur smell. I panicked at first as i thought my sanitation was off. Now after 2 days (and reading a bunch of forums to relax) it has almost completely faded. So relax give it time if thats the case

just as an update. the hef turned out great. me and a friend killed off the whole batch when she came to visit on vacation. was very tasty and no sour smell/taste. the bannana flavor was still there but mellowed out a little. overall will be doing another heff this next winter.

Back