Flat flat flat help help help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick3696

Reaction score
All,
I have a Honey Pilsner all bottled up. Been "aging" for 5 weeks now with temps going up and down from about 75 degrees to 50 degrees. Have been brewing with temps like this for years. (Florida)

I recently "popped" one and NO POP! NO FIZZ NO NOTHING. I am confused because I have been brewing off and on for over 15 years and have NEVER had a batch not carbinate.

My question is, Can I somehow get this stuff to carbinate. Is it just a matter of temperature and time? I don't know. But I am sending this across the waves to the expertise that I know is out there. Again, please Help.......
Thank you all and HAVE ANOTHER BREW!!!!!!!

Is it just "one" bottle? If so, try another couple from different locations of the case. IF they are all flat with NO carbonation whatsoever, then you could add coopers drops to them...assuming you didn't have any priming sugar to begin with. Otherwise siince it is a pilsner, I'll guess you lagered it and it had a long lagering period, but didn't add any yeast at bottling. If thats the case, I suppose you could dump all of the bottles into a bucket, then mix in some rehydrated yeast. No need for anything special here... won't perceptively alter the flavor.

If you know there is enough sugar present for the yeast to eat and carb up the beer, then just make up a small starter and use an eye dropper to put a drop of yeast in each bottle. Pop, drop and recap. I wouldn't go to all the troube of dumping the bottles back in a bucket.

Yes it was only one bottle. I will try another and see. But if not.....

Secondary ferm was a little extended before I bottled, about 2 weeks, but as I said I have used the same routine over and over.

I did use about 4oz of priming sugar mixed in hot water before bottling.

Maybe the second ferm was to long?

Should I just open, add yeast and rebottle? I'm SOOOOOOOO confused........:confused::eek::(

Don't do anything right now. Try a couple other bottles. If nothing there, then wait one week. Then try another bottle. If nothing then, then wait another week. If nothing then, then worry about it.

All,
Is it just a matter of temperature and time?

Yes it is just a matter of temperature and time.

If you keep it at 70 degrees or more for three weeks, it should carb up fairly well by then. But if the temps drop into the 50s, then it will slow/stop the yeast and slow that way down.

What I'd do is grab 6 bottles and turn them end over end (to resuspend any prematurely flocculated yeast) and stick them on top of the fridge. After two weeks, chill one. try it 24 hours later. I bet it'll be carbed. Thereafter, bring out however many you want carbed up and do the same thing.

I had this problem with a Honey Brown Ale I recently did, 5 consecutive beers were completely flat.

Go through and shake up each bottle and let sit another week or so. Then pop one and check it out. It worked for mine! Good luck!

Sean

What I'd do is grab 6 bottles and turn them end over end (to resuspend any prematurely flocculated yeast) and stick them on top of the fridge. After two weeks, chill one. try it 24 hours later. I bet it'll be carbed. Thereafter, bring out however many you want carbed up and do the same thing.

^this^ is what i'd do. :mug:

Thanks
First I'll have another brew....
Second I'll shake them up a little and have another brew....

[COLOR="Blue"]Originally Posted by Yooper
What I'd do is grab 6 bottles and turn them end over end (to resuspend any prematurely flocculated yeast) and stick them on top of the fridge. After two weeks, chill one. try it 24 hours later. I bet it'll be carbed. Thereafter, bring out however many you want carbed up and do the same thing.[/COLOR]

Third I'll bottle my Zin and have a few more brews....
Forth........I'll just go back to the first......TeeHeeeee

Again thanks and I will try the suggestions and WILL have another brew.

Back