Ok to wait to pitch yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fury556

Reaction score
I just got done brewing a 3gal saison but the yeast starter, doesn't look ready yet. The yeast is Wyeast 3711, sat on the stirplate for 36 hours, put it in the fridge about 6 hours ago and only looks 1/2 clear.

Can I wait till tomorrow to pitch the yeast? :confused:

what is the volume of the starter? If its under 1000ml I would just pitch it now. Is there a big layer of yeast at the bottom of the starter? Thats what you are really concerned about getting into the beer. Most saison strains stay in suspension for a long time... meaning they dont floc out fast.

If you do have a nice yeast cake on the bottom then you can decant some of the "beer" off the cake by SLOWLY pouring it out. Then give the starter a good shake to get the yeast back into suspension then pitch into your wort.

1500ml starter. There is a fair amount of yeast at the bottom, just not as much as I am used to seeing from a White Labs starter.

next time put it in the fridge 48 hours before you brew. 6 hours is not enough time for everything to settle out. Most starters especially on a stir plate will finish up within 24 hours.

I would pitch the whole thing now. I wouldnt wait. thats me though

Thanks for the advice. I poured as much of the clear liquid as I could off the top and pitched it. :mug:

Latest posts

Back