Funny taste to my beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
Over the past few days, I have noticed a funky taste to a few of my beers. One will taste just perfect then the next one will taste kinda smokey. That is about the only way I can really describe the flavor.

For example, I just tried an IPA. 2 nights ago it was perfect, great bitterness, carbonation, the hole shebang. Then tonight I had one and it had the funny smokey flavor to it with little to no bitterness.

Is this oxidation? I guess it is metallic flavor but not really. This was the first batch that I used the bottling wand with, could that be the problem?

If it's only happening with some of your beers, but not all of them, I'd hazard a guess as to it's your bottles that are the culprit. If it's a brewing practice or or poor sanitation in your carboy (or bottling wand) it'll happen to all the bottles, not just some of them.

I can't say I've ever had smoky as an off flavor, but here's a good list of beer off flavors.

I've noticed big differences in the flavor of beer (both mine and commercial) depending on what I just ate or drank. Two different flavors on two different nights might be due to what you had before or with the beer.

I'm going to say it is my sanitizing method on my bottles. I am not a freak about sanitizing so I am going to start with that.

All of the common off flavors don't really describe the taste. Bitterness does not exist, not soapy, just smokey type flavor, I did not scortch extract either. I'm just at a loss.

Latest posts

Back