Noob - Cold Crash Time Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OatmealSnout

Reaction score
Hello All; I'm pretty new to this and absolutely love it. Love beer, love this site, and love the hobby.

I have a question regarding cold crashing time. This will be my third batch and is an English bitter ale. I have adopted the school of leaving it in the primary on the yeast for 4+ weeks and then bottling (I have a 5 gallon BB secondary that is still in the box). Here is my dilemma: It has been in the primary for a few days shy of 4 weeks and we are leaving on vacation tomorrow for 8 days. I live in the Dallas area and it's HOT here. I have been able to keep my primary around 74degrees so far, but when we leave on vacation, we will be turning the thermostat way up to save money. I don't have time to bottle now. I have a garage fridge that I can put the whole 6 gallon primary in to cold crash. Is it okay to leave it in the fridge to cold crash for 8-10 days and then bottle? In my mind, I'm thinking this will make for a even better and clearer brew? Will the yeasties still be alive and kicking enough to bottle carbonate? I plan on letting them bottle condition for at least another 3-4 weeks. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A week is fine.

If you are really worried about it...

Rack the beer into the bottling bucket. Take a scoop of the yeast and put it in a sanitized jar with cold water, swirl, let rest in the fridge for 10 minutes for the trub to drop, and decant some of the suspended yeast into the bucket.

A week is fine.

If you are really worried about it...

Rack the beer into the bottling bucket. Take a scoop of the yeast and put it in a sanitized jar with cold water, swirl, let rest in the fridge for 10 minutes for the trub to drop, and decant some of the suspended yeast into the bucket.

I'm going to disagree on this one; it adds a level of complexity that's not required, in my opinion. It's fine to let it crash in the fridge for the 8 days you're gone; there will still be plenty of yeast in suspension when you come back. I've cold crashed a few batches for 7+ days with no carbing issues whatsoever. I suggest keeping it simple: crash it while you're away and bottle as normal when you come back.

I have yet to brew a batch that had insufficient live yeast to bottle carb. And had some pretty clear brews using gelatin or isinglass in a fridge for days. So I would just put the primary into the fridge still sealed up. Bottle when you get back. Bet it turns out awesome!

Oh - i bet it is would be fine just cold crashing too. That is why I started with "A week is fine." Adding some yeast is just an insurance plan.

Back