Not sure if new corny is working

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjc8870

Reaction score
I am trying new corny keg and have beer carbing for four days at 12 psi. Usually this method takes about two weeks to be ready. My question is, should I be getting any pour yet? i tried to just pour to see if any carb was starting and I get nothing. All valves are on, and co2 has gas.

Just not sure if I should be getting anything yet.

Thanks,

Mike

If the gas is connected correctly you should be getting beer out whether it is carbonated or not

RichC is right. Even a freshly connected keg should dispense, carbonated or not.

If you pull the pressure release on the keg, does it hiss? If not, your gas diptube, poppet, or quick disconnect is the problem. Take them apart and figure out which it is.

If it hisses, it's your liquid diptube, poppet, or quick disconnect. Take them apart and figure out which it is.

To take any QD apart, remove it from the keg and unscrew the plastic screw on top. Reassemble after cleaning/sanitizing everything.

To take any poppet/diptube assembly apart, disconnect the gas and liquid QDs, pull the pressure release and keep it open to allow the keg to vent, and leave it open so liquid doesn't come out of the tubes. Remove the posts, inspect poppets. Remove the diptubes, inspect them. Clear out any blockage, then sanitize everything and reassemble. Put gas back on the keg, and vent it a few times to purge any O2 that got i.

Could be leaking around the lid, too. Sometimes a keg will hold pressure at 30 psi, but not at 10, if you have a dent on the lid or on the rim of the lid opening.

EDIT: Spray StarSan around the lid and poppets to test for leaks.

First off make sure the Gas Disconnect is on completely. Been there. Secondly check to make sure the IN & OUT poppets can be depressed. Been there too. Just make sure there is no pressure in the keg when you test the OUT poppet. Been there once as well... Cheers!!!

I am a complete loss. I filled second keg with soapy water and still not getting anything. The beer lines are not filling up with beer. I am not seeing any leaks but I will take apart the parts as you described. I have limited knowledge so I don't really know how to troubleshoot any further.

I am getting pressure in tank. I will take apart liquid side and report back.

Thanks

I got it. Thanks to all. It was the liquid QD. I took it apart and that was the problem. I appreciate it very much.

Mike

I've seen a LOT of reports the last 12 months on bad liquid QD's. Either they aren't round inside so they don't slip down far enough to lock and depress the poppet, or the 'stem' in the QD is broken/too short and doesn't press the poppet down.

Back