Low carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okie usually I test a bottle ten days after bottling, normally they are carbonated fine just green taste... The Pale Ale I opened today tasted great, Bass ale clone, but had no head and was carbonated like soda. It was a 6 gallon batch so I used just under a cup of corn sugar. Is that a sign of something bad or is this batch just carbonating slower than the others?

It depends on a lot of stuff. Altitude has a definite role in how much total diffused gas is sitting in your beer. I'm doing 6 Gal batches too, remember. But if I did 5, I'd certainly use a cup of sugar no worries.

Budbo,
I wouldn't worry too much about this one. I had exactly the same thing happen on my last brew, which was my fourth. the first three were adequately carbonated after 10 days. the fourth had no head and about the same carbonation as the sample I took at bottling. it took 3 weeks to actually carbonate well, but now it is excellent.

Back