Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is mine -

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LLU78Q/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Parker 82R Super Heavyweight. I think it was the bestseller on Amazon at my time of purchase.

I kind of regret not going with a slant bar. I understand the slantbar would have been a bear to learn on, but once I got it down, does a better job.

As for blades, I have not seen this mentioned yet, but it is really popular to get a sampler pack and find out what blade is best for you. They all look the same, but really are different. The Japanese feather blades are really popular, and I agree - they are freakishly sharp.

Another little shave geek think is the concept of Uberlather. It is a combination of a cream, a soap, and a few drops of glycerine. I started with Colonel Conk's soap only, but really liked the combination of all three products better.

Joe

I looked at the heavyweight too but couldn't find out how it compared in weight to the Futur and decided to go with something rated more favorably for noobs. Thus the HD.

I too think one day I will pick up a slant bar but the reviews on aggressiveness will keep me away from one for a year or two.

Today I sprung for a sampler of blades and a Proraso White sensitive skin tub. So far I have tried a mix of Edge Gel and Proraso Green as well as Edge Gel with CO Bigelow cream. Not sure I care to go so far as to mix a ton of products together for Uberlather. I have already managed to "collect" into more than I ever bargained for.

Last edited by a moderator:
I shave with a straight razor, Silver tipped badger and VHD shave soap.

Love it, sometimes not the closest shaves, but maintaining my straight is a lot of fun.

-Geoff

I am thinking of picking up a bulk quantity of either sharks or feathers and having them Cryo treated so they last longer. I just need to figure out which blades work better for me since I will have a lot of them, and they should at least twice as long as an untreated blade.

Just checked. The cheap stuff I use: Merkur Long Handled Razor, Derby Extra blades. Bought 100 of the blades in June, 2009 for $18.66.

I got into wetshaving a little over two years ago when I wanted to get away from the nasty razor burn I was getting from multiblade razors. I started off with a Merkur HD, Proraso/Taylor of Old Bond Street (Avocado, yum) creams and a "best badger" brush from Crabtree and Evelyn. I worked with this setup for some time before I made the jump into straight razors.

I now use a 5/8" Dovo Blackstar or a 5/8" Wapienica straight razor along with a red latigo/linen strop from http://shop.thewellshavedgentleman.com (doesn't get any better than this guys strops). I've shifted into using soaps rather than creams and I use only one kind now, Tabac along with a Rooney 3/1 Silvertip Badger brush.

Wet/straight razor shaving has transformed shaving into more of a process that I enjoy, the smells, the making of the shaving cream, the sounds..it's great and leaves me without irritation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just last week took delivery of this Merkur Classic 1904:

Merkur9041001.jpg

I was a little shocked at how short the handle really is in your hand but it's been a dream. No nicks so far and nice and close. Nice little unit for $25 shipped.

Bobby, that is a nice looking open comb, I never thought of picking up a replica razor but I might pop for one of those from west coast shaving, I need some other things anyway. how would you rate the quality of it? it doesnt look like a cheap unit in the pic.

I, like many guys on here apparently, got started in DE shaving from reading articles about it on The Art Of Manliness website. I bought a Schick Krona used from a flea market for a couple bucks and cleaned it according to AOM's descriptions. I have been using it with the cheap drugstore blades, boarhair brush, and shaving soap. I have noticed a much better shaving experience and much less irritation. Lately AOM has been touting the use of straight razors and my curiosity and sense of adventure has led me to buy a compromise razor that uses a replaceable single edge razor blade but is built and used like a regular straight razor. My plan is try to get the feel for shaving with this till I see a real SE show up at my local flea market that is worth restoring and then use that.

One question I have of the "experts" ;)
Do you need to do any prep work if you wanted to get rid of say 3-4 weeks of growth? I have been planning on getting a DE razor this payday (29th) and due to doing long shifts at work this month I have been slack on shaving (under the guise of I have decided to grow a beard). Am I going to need to pull out the clippers to take of most of the "beard" first or can I go straight to the DE?

Personally I would clipper it down first, take a hot shower to try to get the stubble as soft as possible, get a good lather going and lather your face with the brush for a good minute or so, steam your face for a couple minutes with some hot washcloth applications, wipe the lather off and re-lather, knock the stubble down with a few passes, do not try to get a smoothe shave on the first pass, instead go with a couple very light passes.

Am I going to need to pull out the clippers to take of most of the "beard" first or can I go straight to the DE?

I have seen some vids of fellows go all in DE against weeks of growth to make an example of a razors ability.

Not for me.

Trimmers then shave.

Personally I would clipper it down first, take a hot shower to try to get the stubble as soft as possible, get a good lather going and lather your face with the brush for a good minute or so, steam your face for a couple minutes with some hot washcloth applications, wipe the lather off and re-lather, knock the stubble down with a few passes, do not try to get a smoothe shave on the first pass, instead go with a couple very light passes.

Thanks, looking forward to getting the razor. Anyone suggest a good online store to get a basic starters kit from. Looking at some of the $13 ebay ones to get started but all of them seem to included shipping in the price and if I'm getting a brush and soap as well I don't want to pay 3 times for the "shipping"

Thanks, looking forward to getting the razor. Anyone suggest a good online store to get a basic starters kit from. Looking at some of the $13 ebay ones to get started but all of them seem to included shipping in the price and if I'm getting a brush and soap as well I don't want to pay 3 times for the "shipping"

Amazon actually has some nice, competitive, deals.

I got my first brush and soap from my local drug store for a few dollars each. have you checked locally there in NZ? perhaps there is a corner store with just what you need.

I got my first brush and soap from my local drug store for a few dollars each. have you checked locally there in NZ? perhaps there is a corner store with just what you need.

Haven't really checked out any brick & mortar stores. The online NZ ones are a bit on the pricy side for the same item from the US (maybe 2x at least).

I have a few antique Gillette DE razors in pretty good shape if anyone is interested... I tried, but traditional wet shaving isn't for me.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=159146 (post #13 has a picture of the razors)

PM me if you're interested.

I can't see the photo (not a B&B member) but I'd wager a guess that the "bent" model is actually a "slant bar". Considered the most aggressive DE shaver. Next only to SE.

You arent a member over there yet? I'm amazed you haven't gotten around to signing up.

I do all my chat blabbing here. :D

I've just never felt the need to sign on B&B. It's all there in the open and searchable. If I was in market for used razors maybe that would be different. But even stil, reviews are free to read and they have just about anything you could think of reviewed there.

If you are looking for sampler packs of blades, check out Ebay.

There are lots of different packs

Link

If you are looking for sampler packs of blades, check out Ebay.

There are lots of different packs

Link

Yep. Same assortments can be found on Amazon too for similar prices.

I sprung for the 120 blade sampler yesterday. Most in the pack are the 10 blade packs but several are also only 5 blade packs. Don't expect I'll need blades for some time.

I still havent found a price on the straight razors I posted earlier on, I really want one, but they are probably well over a thousand dollars. maybe someday :(

I still havent found a price on the straight razors I posted earlier on, I really want one, but they are probably well over a thousand dollars. maybe someday :(

A quick Google on "Zowada Razor pricing" results in a,

"If you have to ask...." :D

I saw some forum posts that asked if the $700+ price tag for a Zowada custom is worth it. So, there is a baseline.

I used to use a dovo 7/8 straight, loved it. I just sold most of my wet shave collection, over 500 bucks in razors, soap, blades, etc. I bought four more better bottles, a second propane tank, and a bunch of grain and hops.

A quick Google on "Zowada Razor pricing" results in a,

"If you have to ask...." :D

I saw some forum posts that asked if the $700+ price tag for a Zowada custom is worth it. So, there is a baseline.

:eek: I think I'm going to have to figure some alternate income source....

Anybody in the market for a gigolo?

i, as well, am a wet shaver. i started off years ago into straight edge razors and hope to be back into them soon (once i have time to hone and fix a few of them). in the meantime, i've switched to DE shaving, and then to SE shaving. i like the DE razors (i have a 40s gold tech) fine, but after trying a single edge razor, i doubt i will go back to the DE. the blades aren't quite as cheap as the DE ones, but still plenty cheap compared to the stupid cartridges. here's a pic of the two that i rotate:

open comb micromatic:

9777.1N.jpg

gem 1912:

images

What is the difference (other than one cutting edge as opposed to two) of the SE vs the DE?

So does anyone else see the parallel here?

Bic disposable = BMC
Gillette Mach 3 = Goose Island IPA
DE safety Razor = Homebrew -> Extract w/ steeping grains
Straight = Homebrew -> A.G.

I mean, I'd like to use a straight, and I know it could give a better result, but it seems like a big commitment; more equipment, more time, and potential for disaster.

I am an all grain brewer, but I stick with shaving with extract.

Back