Floating yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTate37

Reaction score
I was going to bottle my BBS New Year Beer this weekend, but I just opened the bucket and there appears to be some yeast floating on the surface.

Should I just bottle as is or cold crash overnight? If I cold crash will there be enough yeast in suspension to carb?

Thanks!

One gallon batch that has been fermenting for three weeks at 66-68 degrees. Used one vial of White Labs Belgian Strong yeast. Based on the age of the yeast and the expected OG of 1.070 Mr. Malty called for .9 vials of yeast so I went ahead and pitched the whole thing.

I haven't taken a FG reading as it is only a gallon, but I guess I could be really careful and put the sample back.

Just checked gravity and it is 1.004 and crystal clear. The clearest I've made to date. Really dry. Its only my first reading but I'm thinking I'm probably okay to bottle. Any arguments for not bottling?

Lots of belgian yeasts have reputations for SLOWLY squeezing out a point or 2.

Latest posts

Back