Using DME to prime bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llazy_llama

Reaction score
So I ran a few searches for DME, and came up empty. I think we could use some additional search functionality for short acronyms, because searching "DME bottling" is the same as searching "bottling." :off:

Anyway! I'm considering using DME in place of corn sugar to bottle my next batch. From what I've read, DME gives a bit more "beer" flavor, cuts down on the cider flavor, and produces smaller bubbles in the finished product, which is exactly what I'd want in the stout I'm going to brew.

How much would using DME affect the ABV% of my finished beer Vs. corn sugar, or would there be no change at all? Does anyone have any first hand experience here? Corn sugar seems to be the overall method of choice, but I'm not sure if that's because of the quality of the finished product or the price. Does DME carbonate at higher or lower pressure? If higher, has anyone had bottle bomb issues? :confused:

There's probably a thread somewhere in here with details, but I just couldn't dig it up with the Search button. It's probably in Revvy's sig, and I just missed it. ;)

I've done it once...it doesn't significantly affect the abv at all, I mean it's only a few ounces.

I honestly didn't notice any pronounced "beeriness" as opposed to cideriness in that beer, becasue quite frankly I never detect a "cideriness" in beers primed with corn sugar.

You have to calculate the difference in using it as opposed to corn sugar...I just clicked on the little dropdown in beersmith and switched it to DME and it told me how much to use.

I didn't notice a remarkable difference in it, but then again it's hard to compare one stlye of beer to another, perhaps if I had split a batch for a side by side comparriason...This was a fairly dark and rich beer so it might have been different had I let say, primed a pale ale with it.

You know, when I was typing up this post, something told me "just PM Revvy. If the answer isn't in his signature, he probably knows it."

If the difference in taste isn't significant, I'll stick with dextrose and save the money. Thanks.

Edited: Oh wow, Revvy changed his sig. Woe is me :(
Edited my edit: Revvy doesn't sleep. He waits for noobs like us to ask questions.

There's no appreciable difference in my mind between DME and dextrose for priming, but you should know that priming with DME will take considerably longer and you'll use more DME by weight to achieve the same level of carbonation.

I find dextrose a lot more reliable. You never taste it with the small amount you use. The guy at my old LHBS used to tell me he could tell any beer primed with priming sugar because it had an off taste. I call BS.

DME does work. It takes a lot longer for it to carbonate the beer. It might be good for English styles. It seems that no matter what I do, or how long I leave them, my beer primed with DME is always undercarbed.

Latest posts

Back