Licorice lovers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Salt licorice? Interesting.

I'm a fan of licorice, but I haven't had too many different kinds. The Panda brand is about as exotic as I've gotten.

My MIL is from Finland and loves licorice, so I think I need to place an order for some Finnish licorice. Thanks for the heads up!

There's a shop in Poulsbo WA where I've purchased salt licorice, good stuff. They also have licorice flavored M&M type candies. Mmmmmm. I'll post back if I can remember the name of the place.

EDIT - Here they are, Marina Market

They even sell Napolean Balls :D

Ohh thanks for the Marina Market site (ps..I am a big Dylan fan). Good to see the prices are comparable on a lot of stuff, they have some things licoriceinternational doesn't and I think visa-versa.

Salt Licorice is definitely not for everyone :D. Actually there is one:
HD20A.JPG

found on this page, scroll down
Which is made with Sea Salt (not the Salmiak which is Ammonia Chloride...yipes!, which I LOVE) and they are a little Salty but very good.

I love licorice! Never heard of salt licorice so that is definitly something to try. I do remember my dad brining this stuff home from ireland and it was great. It had a caramel type consistancy/stickyness and I have never have seen it since.

Sounds like something worth trying. My dad always looked forward to Halloween when the local ice cream place had pumpkin & licorice.

By the way, licorice works well in dry stouts.

Some of my favorites have been:

Malaco Salt fish
Katjes Salzige Heringe
Katjes Steife Brise

The Malaco seem hard to find, I emailed LicoriceInternational to see what's up with that. The Salzige Heringe are really great with a coating of sugar on the outside, and the Steife Brise have a very intense Licorice flavor (real Licorice, not Anise).

zoebisch01 said:
Some of my favorites have been:

Malaco Salt fish
Katjes Salzige Heringe
Katjes Steife Brise

The Malaco seem hard to find, I emailed LicoriceInternational to see what's up with that. The Salzige Heringe are really great with a coating of sugar on the outside, and the Steife Brise have a very intense Licorice flavor (real Licorice, not Anise).

I'm pretty much raised on salt licorice.:) When I lived in the US I used to go to IKEA to buy Malaco "Salta Fiskar". However, it is not really the original but it still tastes OK...

If you want to try some hard-core, not-for-chilren salt licorice, you should try to get some "Läkerol Dark Smoked Liquorice" or the milder "Läkerol Dark Pure Liquorice"

H

First time I tried Salt Licorice it was from a guy that I know who is Dutch. I wasn't impressed.

Now if you want to try the BEST LICORICE in the WORLD, try Darrel Lea to see how it's done correctly ;)

First time I tried Salt Licorice it was from a guy that I know who is Dutch. I wasn't impressed.

I agree, Salt Licorice isn't for everyone and I think to a degree you can get used to it. I loved it right off the bat for some reason. :fro:

I'm pretty much raised on salt licorice.:) When I lived in the US I used to go to IKEA to buy Malaco "Salta Fiskar". However, it is not really the original but it still tastes OK...

If you want to try some hard-core, not-for-chilren salt licorice, you should try to get some "Läkerol Dark Smoked Liquorice" or the milder "Läkerol Dark Pure Liquorice"

H

Figured you would be ;). The Malaco we can't get anymore here according to the lady at LicoriceInternational. I'll have to request your suggestions from them, to see if they can get them.

...I looked online, says 'sugar free', do they have a version made with sugar. I have a stubborn aversion to artificial sweeteners (unless it isn't sweetened at all?). I tried to find the ingredients listing to no avail. :(

Figured you would be ;). The Malaco we can't get anymore here according to the lady at LicoriceInternational. I'll have to request your suggestions from them, to see if they can get them.

...I looked online, says 'sugar free', do they have a version made with sugar. I have a stubborn aversion to artificial sweeteners (unless it isn't sweetened at all?). I tried to find the ingredients listing to no avail. :(

I'm pretty sensitive to artificial sweteners myself but I've never actually thought about them as beeing artificially sweetened. I don't have any around just now so I can't actually confirm wether they are artificially sweetened or not.They have a pretty intense licorice taste to them -think of them as the Imperial Russian Stout of licorice.

Tell you what, if you PM your address to me, I'll be more than happy to send you a bunch of genuine Swedish salt licorice samples so you can try for yourself.

H

You guys seem to make Salt Licorice to be some HardCore Extremist Candy.

Well, if you promise not to tell anyone it's just a display of the power of semantics. Stating we just like wierd tasting candy would just make us wierd ugly guys, but reframing to as us beeing "licorice conneseurs" will make us high value alpha males that women can't help but flocculate around ;).

H

Latest posts

Back