any scotch drinkers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rewster451

Reaction score
I'm celebrating a new job that's going very well, and I just got paid (first paid acting job ever). I want to buy myself a really nice bottle of scotch. My favorites so far are Talisker and Lagavulin, but I kind of want to try something new. Anybody else have any favorites?

Thanks for the info. Both the ten and fifteen are in my price range. I'm about to go shopping. I'll let you know how it goes.

I also enjoy the Macallan. Ever tried Balvene?

My current favourite is Highland Park. Distilled on the island of Orkney. It's very smooth and easy-drinking so be careful! :drunk:

One of these days I'll be able to afford a bottle of Dallas Dhu 21 y.o. :(

I'll second and third Macallan 12. I get that whenever SWMBO and I are out to dinner instead of dessert.

Walker said:
Cool. What is it? Commercial? Theater? TV? Big screen?

-walker

It's actually just a low budget indie movie that's being filmed here in town. The story is pretty wild, and I like it a lot. It should be making the film fest circuit around Feb., March. The working title is "A Ripple In The World".

I was unable to locate a bottle of 15 y.o. Laphroaig, so I stuck to my current favorite, the Talisker 10.

My goal is to one day buy a bottle of scotch older than I am, but that gets harder and more expensive every year. If I don't do it by the time I'm 30, I'm SOL.

Truble said:
I'll second and third Macallan 12. I get that whenever SWMBO and I are out to dinner instead of dessert.
mines Macallen 12 also. damn smooth,and kicks ass w/ a good cigar!

Try Glenmorangie that has been finished in diffrent wine barrels. I think it comes in Port, Sherry, Maderia and Burgandy.
I've had the port and sherry, they were great!!
A little pricey though.

I've had madiera (not a good speller of obscure words), and it was fantastic. I've also had another glenmorangie, but as this is the drunken rambling forum, I can't seem to remember which it was. I do remember that it was pretty good. It may have just been a straight 10 or 12.

rewster451 said:
My goal is to one day buy a bottle of scotch older than I am, but that gets harder and more expensive every year. If I don't do it by the time I'm 30, I'm SOL.

When I was 24 I found an unopened bottle of 30 year old burboun at an estate sale for 2 dollars. Damn it was good!

So what's a good choice in the $40-50 range? I've learned my lesson when it comes to $10 a bottle (don't ask).

Blended whisky is just bad. Johnny Walker's Blue label I've heard is good, but I don't know. It's a blend, and it's like 200$ a bottle.

As far as 40-50 range, you'll find a lot of things that will be MUCH better than your ten dollar bottle. It all depends on your taste though. McAllan 12 is definitely good, maybe one of the best out there. I can't remember if it's in that range or not, but it shouldn't be too much more expensive.

eastwood44mag said:
So what's a good choice in the $40-50 range? I've learned my lesson when it comes to $10 a bottle (don't ask).
my favorite is the Macallan 12 year Single Malt. smooth, caramel, sherry. i love the stuff! :drunk:

DeRoux's Broux said:
my favorite is the Macallan 12 year Single Malt. smooth, caramel, sherry. i love the stuff! :drunk:

Looks like I will be making a run to the liquor store tonight.

Any uses for cheap liquor that ain't fit to drink? It's not high enough proof to use as a solvent (I don't think).

eastwood44mag said:
Looks like I will be making a run to the liquor store tonight.

Any uses for cheap liquor that ain't fit to drink? It's not high enough proof to use as a solvent (I don't think).

you can sanitize things with it. It might not be high enough proof for a solvent, but it will probably kill bacteria just fine.

-walker

Walker said:
you can sanitize things with it. It might not be high enough proof for a solvent, but it will probably kill bacteria just fine.

-walker

Sounds like I don't have to buy anymore before I start my next batch. If only I had enough bottles.

i bought a bottle of The Balvenie 15 year old for my dad's B-day today. looks tasty and can't wait for him to crack it open! i wanted to try a new one, and figured i'd use him as a lab rat!!!!

I enjoy a sip of The Glenlevits now and then. When I lived in Scotland I toured several of the scotch distillers. Dont remember much after the first few though. But bought some great scotch while I was there.

Back