Help on designing a recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kobrew

Reaction score
I have now completed two 5 gallon brews. I got both recipes from the brewing store I frequent. Now it's time to try my own beer. Or we'll, put together my own recipe. Any suggestions on how to put a recipe together?

Kobrew said:
I have now completed two 5 gallon brews. I got both recipes from the brewing store I frequent. Now it's time to try my own beer. Or we'll, put together my own recipe. Any suggestions on how to put a recipe together?

First visit the recipe wiki, here you can peruse different recipes in different styles. Make notes of typical ingredients and hops, etc as well as yeast statins. Obviously look at styles you enjoy.

Read "Designing Great Recipes" by Ray Daniels and "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Z.

as a suggestion, i'd say you should get a little more experience brewing before putting together a recipe. i've read other people's experiences, as well as mine, and our first 1's can be nasty when we jump the gun. mine was kind of an amber pale ale weizen, i think... i pawned off as much of that "beer" to people i didn't like as i could

You're probably getting ahead of yourself; I think you would be better suited learning more about the individual ingredients and how they taste individually and in combination before you try throwing recipes together.

+1 ^ Get used to brewing first. Learn. Ask questions of others. Read. Do a few, or several, kits. From personal experience, be patient. And, don't give up. Bad batches happen. :)

Thanks all! As you all said, ill work in a couple more brews before I move on to my own recipe. And ill definitely read up in designing recipes and what not before!

Pick a style you want to make and look up recipes of that style. Then do a lot of reading about which grains do what and which hops give which types of flavors. If you have a good understanding of hops and grains you can make a good recipe. Of course unless you are really good you will still probably make a stinker or two.

Back