How much ginger?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phillvince

Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here looking for some advice.

I've made three kits already so am a little familiar with the process, but this will be my first from scratch.

The recipe I am making is an orange wine as follows:

All purpose yeast
15 Oranges
Water (1 gal.)
1 tsp Pectolase
1 Campton Tablet
3 lb Granulated Sugar
2 Tsps Citric Acid
1 lvl tsp Yeast Nutrient

I would like to add ginger to flavour this to create an orange and ginger wine. I do not want the ginger to be overpowering but to be quite subtle. Here go the questions.

Would fresh or powdered ginger be recommended? Or a mixture of both?

How much would be recommended for a 1 gallon end product?

When would the best time to add the ginger? (the recipe calls for at least 2 racking processes to be completed before bottling. It can be drunk straight away but will mature with age.)

Thank you in advance.

:tank:{....
currently making: Kit bought chardonay

Currently drinking: Kit bought Elderflower
....}:tank:

My only experience with ginger is with beer, and 1/2 oz. in a 5-gallon batch is just right for my taste buds - helps the beer finish clean, and the actual ginger flavor was present but not overpowering.

For a gallon batch of wine, I would use 1/4 oz. Since wine needs to sit for a LOT longer than most beers, the ginger flavor will have a chance to mellow out IF you end up putting too much in. Good luck! Hope this was some help.

Thanks for the advice mrphillips. I'll try the 1/4 oz and see how this pans out. if it's too much or too little I can change quantities if I decide to do the same recipe again. Does it matter when it's added? I was thinking of fresh ginger as well, what do you reckon?

Good advice on the yeast as well Doc.

I've played around with making a ginger extract (just diced ginger root soaked on 1/2 cup vodka for a week), but I always come back to just using the fresh ginger itself.

I did a Witbier where I added 1/4 oz. of ginger to the last 5 minutes of the boil, and the ginger came across more as a "clean finisher" than an actual ginger flavor. I did an APA with 1/2 oz. that I put into the secondary, and that gave it a REAL nice ginger taste, PLUS the same clean finish.

I've never made wine, but I might swing for the fences with a full 1/2 oz. I think the higher ABV will mask some of the ginger, as well the months it will take to condition the wine. Experiment! I've only been brewing for a couple months, so what do I know?

Thanks mrp I'm thinking experiment is the only way. I didn't even think about adding to the boil first off I was thinking of adding in the racking process. I may boil it in with my first attempt. This will probably cut down on the possibility of fresh ginger going off when steeped in the finished wine.

:)

Happy brewing.

Back