I am polish so what do you expect...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryank

Reaction score
So my first batch was an AG and I did do one extract. Yeah I guess I'm doing things a little backwards but I had the luxury of falling into my uncle's setup (he drives hard to the paint) which at the time included a full bottle of CO2 and four ball lock cornies. We recently got a great deal at Adventures In Homebrewing and picked up six more pin locks too. Anyways I brewed a dry stout and decided to bottle them. Luckily an old timer brought over two cases of swing tops which is very cool, but even better yet I had enough non twist off bottles chillin around my apartment to bottle the whole batch without even touching those grolsch bottles (quite a few are of the brown variety). Anyways, I know stouts take some aging and I left it in the primary for three weeks, then transferred over to a brief secondary for about 5 days. Since this is my first time bottling I was wondering if you guys think that since this beer has aged quite a bit in primary and secondary and I'm keeping the bottles in a nice environment (dark and between 67-72) that these will be carbed up and ready for St. Patrick's? I know it's kind of a wait and see type thing but I guess I'm just looking for a Yay/Nay vote and to hear what you guys have to say.

Thanks,
Bryan

I think they should be carbed and quite drinkable, but ready? Not so sure on that. My stout didn't get the long time on the yeast cake that your did which seems to slow the maturing process but it took more than 2 months to "come together". I've done a cream ale with 3 weeks in primary and then bottled and it came together in a couple weeks.

Depending ABV, temperatue, and a few other things it may or may not be ready. I'm guessing you bottled yesterday?

~70 degrees, and as long as the alcohol isn't too high, it should carb by then. Personally, I never crack a bottle before 2.5 weeks, but really prefer to wait 3. I agree with the above poster that it probably will still be pretty green, and not in that St. Patty's way.

If it were me, I wouldn't plan on it being ready. Crack one open day of, and if it is, great...but I wouldn't plan on it.

Back