Easy BIAB 1st time recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mychalg9

Reaction score
What is a good recipe to try my hand at BIAB? Im thinking an APA or Hefe would probably be easy and relatively cheap, so if anything goes wrong I wont be terribly upset.

I'd suggest doing something that would work fine if you get 50% efficiency or 80%. You really have no idea what you'll get. I'd also suggest staying at about 10 lbs of grain, at least for the first time. I've had problems with too much grain in too small of a bag.
But either an APA or Hefe would work. Take a look at Edwort's Haus Pale Ale.

Agree with others, go with a lower OG beer for your first one, and have your LHBS double mill (I HIGHLY recommend getting your own mill when doing BIAB because you can crush the hell out of it since you don't have to worry about a stuck sparge).

My recommendation: BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde. Easy, cheap and from all accounts very tasty (mine's still in the fermenter, but smells wonderful)! If you want something a bit hoppier or darker, go for an APA, or take a look at NB's Irish Draught Ale recipe - that is delicious.

I brewed a wheat as my first (fermenting right now). My thought was if I got really poor efficiency I could add 2 cans of Oregon raspberry in the secondary to gain 10 points of gravity if needed. I'm on the fence right now, maybe I'll split the batch and leave half as is and add raspberries to the other half.

Latest posts

Back