Oil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingjam

Reaction score
I have seen this talked about before but can not seem to serch/find it. I was looking at my primary fermentor (Day 16) and it seems to have a oily look to the top layer of the beer/wort (whatever its called). Is this normal. I got my tap-a-draft in and was wondering if I should wait some more before racking to tap-a-draft. I am trying not to use a secondary this time, just to see if I can make good beer in primary.

If you're talking about the krausen, yes it's normal. It can look like all kinds of things, like bubbles, mats, or pancake mix. If it's been 16 days take a hydrometer reading and see if it's done. It probably is.

Secondaries aren't necessary for making good beer. It's best use is if you need to clear your primary for another batch to get started (recommended) or it's something that needs to age a long time, say for a few months.

I too have this oily layer in several of my brews. But surprisingly not all of them. And I not not very sure what is causing them. Yes, it could be the krausen, but it looks oily even without the bubbles.

I have seen this on beers when I am racking them into the primary before. I think I have only seen it twice and was concerned at first, but after the beer fermented fine and tasted great I sort of quite caring.

The krausen fell to the bottom at about day 7. Have you ever put gas in a boat and spilled some in the water? It makes the water look all crazy. Looks like that but not to that extream.

Back