Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan Lendl

Reaction score
tried this for the first time tonite, its a russian imperial/winter edition beer.

first impression was Whoa-i dont think ill finish this. Im not a big beer fan, and this beer is HUGE, like 9 percent. Aroma is liquirice, mollasses and chocolate. Body is thick and greasy. Taste is sweet, kind of coying, and moderatelty bitter. At first it was very alcoholic tasting but after warming it mellowed. Definitley a sipping beer. Cabonation is low and i cant smell any hops, just liquirice (cant spell liquirice)
aftertaste is sticky and roasty, like a guinness hopped up on goof-balls...

Damn...I LOVE that stuff.

I bought 2 sixers a while back and I have 5 bottles left...I sneak one every once in a while. Really good for those mornings after I get off a long night shift--one of those and I sleep like a baby all day.

I'll have to keep an eye out for this one. I've generally been pretty enthusiastic about the IS's I've tried. But you're right, IL, they're not a session pint pounding beer...more like a replacement for a few glasses of wine or a hard drink.

Baron von BeeGee said:
I'll have to keep an eye out for this one. I've generally been pretty enthusiastic about the IS's I've tried. But you're right, IL, they're not a session pint pounding beer...more like a replacement for a few glasses of wine or a hard drink.

Good luck finding it--I think it is a winter seasonal. Some of those are getting scarce nowadays.

I never had this before, but I want to try it really, really bad. I've read The Brewmaster's Table, written by the guy who makes this, and it sounds intriguing. Apparently, they don't sparge with this brew and have to mash three times in order to get the amount of wort they need. The brewer attributes that, and a crap load of chocolate malt, for the strong chocolate taste they have attained without adding chocolate to the beer.

Dude said:
Good luck finding it--I think it is a winter seasonal. Some of those are getting scarce nowadays.
That's the beauty (sometimes) of living in a small town relatively close to a large one. The local grocery will buy seasonal beers that nobody in their right mind would buy because they're not BMC, and they'll wind up practically giving them away at some point. Probably not this particular beer, but I've scored a few others like that. I thought the 12-pack of Harpoon Winter Warmer I got last year for $4 was better this year after the spices had mellowed out :tank:

Back