Bruxelles Black - Recipe from Brooklyn Brewshop - Tips and Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
Bruxelles Black - A Belgian-Style Abbey Ale

On Sunday, I brewed a beer that looks to be a unique and wonderful take on two of my favourites. The first is a beer that I've been quite impressed with for quite some time: 1554, from New Belgium. Here's a brief description of it, from New Belgium's website:

Born of a flood and centuries-old Belgian text, 1554 Black Lager beer uses a lager yeast strain and dark chocolaty malts to redefine what dark beer can be. In 1997, a Fort Collins flood destroyed the original recipe our researcher, Phil Benstein, found in the library. So Phil and brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert, traveled to Belgium to retrieve this unique style lost to the ages. Their first challenge was deciphering antiquated script and outdated units of measurement, but trial and error (and many months of in-house sampling) culminated in 1554, a highly quaffable dark beer with a moderate body and mouthfeel.

For those of you who know me, this kind of historically-interesting concept is right up my alley. You can read and see more about 1554:

http://www.newbelgium.com/Beer/1554

The second beer that inspired me to try this recipe was my recent brewing of a pre-packaged mix from Brooklyn Brew Shop called Bruxelles Blonde, which is a really nice Belgian ale. I found this to be an incredibly-good beer; light, refreshing and a bit of a spicy in character due to the Belgian malts and lively hops. You can see and read the details about Bruxelles Blonde here:

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/bruxelles-blonde-beer-mix

Which leads us to Bruxelles Black, which is in some ways a child of both of these beers. It's a dark, roasty, easy-drinking abbey beer, like 1554 (which is a lager); but it also is brewed with honey and employs some lively, spicy hops, like Bruxelles Blonde (which is an ale). Brooklyn Brew Shop did, in the past, sell a pre-packaged mix for Bruxelles Black, but it has since been discontinued. Every now and then, they resurrect a discontinued mix; but luckily, I didn't have to wait for that to happen. Their second recipe book, titled Make Some Beer, has recipes for both Bruxelles Blonde and Bruxelles Black.

Here are some further details about Bruxelles Black, from Brooklyn Brew Shop's website:

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/bruxelles-black-beer-making-kit

I also recommend this awesome, must-see video about this beer:

[ame]https://vimeo.com/47833013[/ame]

Since I enjoy both 1554 and Bruxelles Blonde so much, it was only natural that this recipe would appeal to me, and that I would eventually try it. I was recently in Billings, which has a home-brewing supply store; I took the recipe into the shop, and they were able to mill the grains on-site for me, as well as provide the Belgian yeast and the hops called for in the recipe. I also found out that I could give them a call any time and they would be most happy to provide the same service long-distance by shipping any order to my remote, small town in north-central Montana. Such friendly, wonderful service is hard to come by these days, and I was impressed!

Brew Day was Sunday, 15 May, 2016, and everything seems like it went very well. I couldn't have asked for much more where the marriage of ingredients and marriage are concerned. My all-grain brewing is done in one-gallon batches, which means that I have an easy time of it on my stove-top, with no extra equipment or space required. It is my preferred batch size for many reasons, including convenience, quality control, versatility and flexibility.

My brewing procedure, for the most part, follows this video from Brooklyn Brew Shop:

[ame]https://vimeo.com/11354805[/ame]

It is how I learned to brew beer, and has worked so well that I have never found much reason to deviate from it. You can view the video above in order to see just how easy it is, and - if necessary - to familiarise yourself with the steps and the terms involved in homebrewing. I will refer to these terms and procedures below, and the video will serve as a reference for those who do not do this on a regular basis; having said that, it's basically pretty easy stuff - if you can make oatmeal, you can brew beer!

The foundation for this beer (and all of the beers that I have ever brewed or will ever brew) is wonderful, pure Montana Spring water; in particular, I am referring to the water that comes from one of my favourite places in the world: Big Spring, south of Lewistown, Montana. When I lived in Lewistown, the water there went straight from the ground to the municipal supply, and that is still the case today. I don't live there anymore, but luckily the very same water is only a few blocks away, available for purchase through a local distributor. You can read more about this water here:

http://www.bigspringwater.com/index.php?p=water

Somewhere on that website is an analysis of the mineral content of that water, but I don't really care. It is the best tasting water that I know of in the world, and all of my beers that have been brewed with it have tasted fabulous - and that's good enough for me. Often, home-brewers will manipulate their water with additions of this or that mineral, in order to push the balance of the water toward a desired profile. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, but for me, the more valuable aspect of a home-brewed beer is that if have some sort of terrior, which is a unique characteristic that is imparted by the local region or area of its origin. For me, and for my beers, that is the water.

Side note - Homebrewers tend to fall into two categories: the "scientist" type, who really get into all of the chemical and engineering details of brewing beer, and the "monk" type, who throw some time-honoured, local ingredients into some local water and let nature take its course. I myself fall into the latter category; having said that, I've learned a lot from the "scientist" types, and owe much of my brewing knowledge to them - so, as they say, it definitely takes both types to make the world of home brewing turn.

If water is the foundation of a beer, then the grains are the building blocks; Bruxelles Black starts with Belgian pilsner malt, and then adds an interesting mix of Belgian Munich malt, Belgian biscuit malt and finally black malt; these grains together form the rich, toasty, smooth character of this ale. As I mentioned above, these grains were offered as a pre-packaged mix by Brooklyn Brew Shop; that mix has been discontinued, but since I have the recipe, I simply picked the grains up in the correct ratios and was ready to go. I am reluctant to share the recipe in open forum, since it is not “my” recipe; however, if anyone is interested in trying this, please send me a PM, and we’ll figure something out.

When it came to brewing the beer, there was very little, if any, difference between doing it this way and using a pre-packaged mix. I've always been very satisfied with Brooklyn Brewshop's pre-packaged mixes, as well as their friendly, efficient customer service; however, I also was very glad to contribute to such an outstanding local business, and of course to try a recipe that falls outside the parameters of what was previously available to me - it was a win-win all-around.

After heating the water and adding the grains, I steeped and stirred "The Mash" for an hour, keeping the temperature within an ideal range of 144-152 degrees Fahrenheit. I use an enameled, cast-iron Dutch oven for this purpose, as it is very effective at holding steady and reliable temperatures with a minimum of fuss and effort. There were essentially no problems with this step, nor were there any with the subsequent step, The Sparge, during which I collected the liquid from the mashed grains (called the wort), which - with the addition of additional spring water, will become my beer.

After The Sparge comes The Boil, which is, in my opinion, where the fun begins. During The Boil, which is usually (but not always) 60 minutes, hops are added to provide aroma and flavour to the beer, while - most importantly - providing some bitterness that acts as a balance against the sweetness of the malted grains. Generally speaking, hops are added at the beginning of the boil to provide bitterness, and at the end of the boil to provide aroma; the result of this is where much of the character of a beer can be found, and different hops are used in order to push the beer into many interesting directions, as desired by the home brewer.

For this recipe, two different hops are used. The first is Pacific Jade, which is described as imparting "zesty, bright citrus" qualities to the beer. The Pacific Jade hop is used primarily as a bittering hop, but it also does add some nice aromas, as well; in particular, it has qualities similar to orange and freshly-ground black pepper, which are especially appropriate for this Belgian-type ale. In my quest for the perfect Carbonade Flamande, I can see this profile fitting in very well, and I am certain that at least some of this beer that I am brewing will find its way into a pot of this Belgian beef stew. You can read more about the Pacific Jade hop here:

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/hop-of-the-month-pacific-jade/

I added equal amounts of Pacific Jade at the beginning of The Boil, halfway through The Boil and near the end of The Boil.

The second hop used in this recipe is an old, "noble" hop - the Saaz hop, described as aromatic and spicy. This hop originates in what is now Czechia (the Czech Republic) and is used primarily for aroma. It is mild and delicate, but the subtle earthy, herbal qualities will most definitely be a contributing factor to both the aroma and the flavour of a good beer. You can read more about the Saaz hop here:

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/hop-of-the-month-saaz/

I added the Saaz hops with just a minute left in The Boil, where it also steeped in the wort throughout the chilling process.

Once The Boil is completed, the wort must be chilled down to a temperature below 70 degrees in order to "pitch" the yeast, which will allow fermentation to commence. This is a relatively simple matter for a one-gallon homebrewer, as I was able to place the kettle in an ice bath in the kitchen sink, where it took about 30 minutes for the wort to cool. During this time, the wort continues to take in the qualities of the hops that were added during The Boil. Meanwhile, I prepared for the next step.

The yeast that I used for this brew was one that appears to be a specialty yeast for Belgian ales, Safale S-33. This yeast is described as "the perfect ingredient for ales, particularly that of Belgian and Trappist style brews." You can learn more about it here:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/safale-s-33-dry-brewing-yeast

Once the wort had cooled, I transferred it from the boiling kettle to my one-gallon fermenter (essentially a glass jug), straining out the hops and any remaining grain sediment that escaped The Sparge. The straining also helps to add oxygen to the wort, which is essential for yeast health. Next, I "pitched" the yeast, put a cap on the fermenter and agitated it, incorporating it into the wort and providing yet more oxygen for good, healthy fermentation.

Once this was done, I set up a "blow-off tube," which will allow the beginning stages of fermentation to take place with minimal mess; carbon dioxide produced by the process is carried out the tube without building up pressure. On Day 3 after Brew Day, once the most active period of fermentation slows down, I will replace the blow-off tube with an air lock, which will allow gas to escape at a slower pace.

That's pretty much all there is to it! After 2 or 3 weeks, fermentation should be complete, and I will bottle my beer. I am brewing this beer in preparation for a reunion with one of my best friends in late July; when I asked him what kind of beers he likes, the first on his list was 1554, so I think this will be a good match for him. I'll also have two or three others that I intend to bring with me, and they will be very good; but I am hoping that this one will be the crown jewel of the tasting session.

Thanks for taking the time to read this - I hope that the information proves to be useful. More details as they happen; if anyone has any comments, questions or other feedback, please feel free to respond here, and I will address them as I am able to.

Ron

You should write this up as an article. I think you can get a free year HBT membership with that.

Thanks, boydster - I'll look into that! Mostly, I keep it as a diary of what I do and what I learn; hopefully, others can gain some insight, as well.

16 May 2016

I checked my fermenter this morning, and again when I got home from work this evening. Fermentation was quite active; the blow-off tube was bubbling quite vigorously this morning, and is continuing at a steady clip right now. The wort in the fermenter is in nearly constant motion, with bubbles rising carbon dioxide forms, and krausen is forming on top of the wort.

On Wednesday, barring any unforeseen circumstance, I’ll replace the blow-off tube with an airlock, and allow the fermentation to proceed until it is finished.

More as it happens, etc. &c.

17 May 2016

I looked in on my beer this morning, and it is still fermenting quite merrily. The blow-off tube is bubbling at a rate of about once per second, and the wort of course is all churned up and really looking healthy.

Not much else to report for now; I'll take another look when I get home from work.

17 May 2016 (after work)

I came home from work and my beer looks great. Fermentation has slowed down to the point where the blow-off tube is bubbling about once every 10 seconds. Tomorrow, I will swap out the blow-off tube for an airlock.

On another note, temperatures throughout this process have been hovering right about 65 degrees, give or take a degree or two. So far, this is shaping up to be a very good brew!

I did switch the blow-off tube for the airlock on Wednesday, and the beer has been happily doing its thing since then.

I took a peek at it this morning, and it's really getting a nice, deep, dark colour - almost, but not quite, mahogany. I'll leave the beer alone for the standard two weeks, and might give it a 3rd week, just to insure that fermentation is complete.

After that, I'll get to bottling it so that it we can get some good conditioning in by late July, when I'll be sharing this with my friend. We used to drink a lot of beer back in the day, and this reunion is something that I'm really looking forward to. So far, the beers that are on deck for the reunion are:

Bruxelles Black (described above)

Chestnut Brown Ale

Summer Wheat

Das OtterWeizen

I have at least two more brew planned for this, as well, assuming that I can get them ready in time:

Smoked Wheat (from scratch, rather than from a mix)

Dandelion Gruit (with possible additions of grains of paradise, mugwort or elderflowers, and substitution (or partial substitution) of long pepper for peppercorns)

But, for all that, I'm hoping that this Bruxelles Black will the star of the show.

More as it happens, etc. &c....

Ron

Here is a label that I put together for this beer -

Bruxelles%20Black%20Label%20Small.jpg

I usually allow 3 weeks total for fermentation; we're about halfway through the 3rd week now, and I expect to bottle this beer this coming weekend. I checked on it this morning and it is looking good; smelling good and hopefully turning into something really special.

More as it happens, etc. &c....

Ron

I put my fermenter in the refrigerator to cold-crash last night. After some time to allow the compaction of the sediment in the trub, I'll bottle it and sample it three weeks after bottling. I's smelling great and looking great - I'm thinking it's going to be good!

Last night, 8 June, I bottled this beer. The procedure went quite smoothly, thanks to my auto-siphon and my spring-tip bottle filler, and nary a drop was spilled. I was going for a medium amount of carbonation, so I used just under 2 tablespoons of local, natural honey as a priming sugar.

I was able to get 9 bottles out of this 1-gallon batch, which is not bad at all; I am sometimes able to squeeze enough for 10 bottles, but it usually involves a little extra sediment going into the bottling bucket. In this case, it was pretty much sediment-free, so no worries there.

I really liked the look of the beer in the bottling bucket. It looked nice and dark - almost chocolaty and somewhere between a porter and a stout, it seemed to me.

There was enough left over for my son and I to try a small sample. I've got to say, I think this beer is going to be pretty good - really good, in fact. There's a roasty-toasty thing going on here, with a nice, zesty kick from the hops that has a bit of citrus as well as some enticing floral notes. I was, until this brew, totally unfamiliar with Pacific Jade hops, but I think it was a pretty good choice for this beer, with the noble Saaz to add some wonderful aroma and character. I am just guessing, but I am pretty sure that everything I am liking about ths beer so far is going to improve with carbonation and time in the bottle.

The only thing I have to compare this beer to is New Belgium 1554, and I think that this beer that I brewed is close to that product; however, it's also got some really nice and unique character of its own, which makes it distinct and unique. Looking back, I think an orange peel (or better yet, zest from an orange or two) would have really knocked this out of the park; having said that, I also can see that such an addition wasn't intended for the original recipe.

In 3 weeks or so, I'll let you know how this turned out, but I think it's going to be really nice, and I'm looking forward to seeing how my friend likes it when we get together late next month.

Ron

After a long and patient wait, I sampled this beer today and it was simply awesome. I'll be brewing this one again and again, for sure.

The appearance was quite dark, yet not at all murky. It poured with a nice, dark head that lingered fairly well. The aroma was roasty, chocolatey and just slightly zesty; It seemed rich and light at the same time, and I found it to be a great marriage of the two beers in my opening post that inspired my interest in this recipe. The flavour was incredible - with good carbonation - a complex continuation of the roasted malt and chocolate theme found in the aroma. It mingled nicely with a balanced bitterness and floral spiciness from the combination of hops. The finish left me thinking of brownies from the edge of the pan, which get just a little more done than the ones in the middle. It wasn't overly-sweet at all, but it was sophisticated and just...great - in every way.

For future brews, I'd like to see if there is an appropriate, geographically-closer substitute for the bittering hops, and I might throw in some orange zest at the end of the boil; however, these are simply ideas for experimentation. The recipe as-is is much, much better than "just fine." This was absolutely one of my best and favourite brews so far. The only thing that might have improved this beer would be a creamier head with better retention; I'd be open to ideas about that. Then again, it is still a fairly young beer and that might have something to do with it.

If this beer looks like something you'd like to try - then it probably is! It's easy, so no reason not to - and it's well worth the modest effort. I am very eager to see how it develops as it ages.

Ron

Do you mind posting the recipe that you used?

As for better head retention, maybe some flaked barley would help. Without seeing the recipe you used it's tough to guide in what might help. I'm looking for some fall/winter beers to make and this may make the list. Something close to 1554 would be awesome and I can't get it in my area, at least I haven't seen it on the shelves, they just started distributing New Belgium in NY so maybe it'll show up soon.

Hi, Bolus -

I'd be happy to share the recipe. It's not "mine," so I'm reluctant to do so in the open forum (not sure if there are rules about that?), but if you send a PM to remind me, I'd be happy to get it to you.

The recipe is from Brooklyn Brew Shop's book, Make Some Beer. It has quite a few very nice things in it and I highly recommend it. It's available at their website or on Amazon, if you're interested.

I think you would like this quite a bit - it compares well to 1554, in my opinion. It is not the exact same, but the things that are the same are the things that I love about 1554, and the things that are different make it a very good ale in its own right.

I tried another one of these a couple of nights ago, and I am still pretty sure that Bruxelles Black is definitely my favourite brew yet! It came out flawlessly, I think, and it simply can't be beat. I like the colour, I like the flavour and I like all of the notes within that make it truly special.

Before brewing it, I mentally compared it to New Belgium's 1554, which is really nice -and after trying it once when it was young, I still held on to that comparison. But to be honest, Bruxelles Black puts 1554 to shame, in my opinion. I had toyed with the idea of changing the hops, but it just doesn't seem necessary.

IF you try it, I'm pretty sure you will like it ~ :mug:

Ron

I enjoyed the last of this batch tonight, and it was simply amazing - there's no other word for it. This stands at the top of my "favourites" list of beers that I've brewed, and I've been pretty happy with nearly all of them.

Bruxelles%20Black%20Finished.jpg

This one really is exactly as advertised. Everything that I've said in previous posts still applies, except that it is all more "developed," If that makes sense. The beer poured much clearer than expected and beautifully dark, with a rich aroma that was just spicy enough to be interesting. The roasted malts gave the beer a nice sophistication and provided a wonderful chocolaty finish. It seems to have aged very well, and I know that I'll be brewing it again, probably as a fall/winter beer in my seasonal rotation. Brooklyn Brew Shop did everything right when they developed this recipe, and while I might experiment with different hops for the sake of finding a more "traditional" choice, the ones in the recipe are spot on, and I probably shouldn't mess with it.

Best of all, I shared this last beer with my dad, who is a committed Bud Light/Milwaukee's Best/Busch drinker. He really enjoyed it as well, and actually preferred it over a lighter beer that he had brewed.

Super success, as far as I am concerned, and highly recommended - definitely in my top three.

Ron

a week in and it looks like things have stopped at 1023. i roused the yeast up a bit to see if i can get it going. basement was a little cold while i was on my trip. i had a little taste while i was checking things out and man its good based off my little sip i get a strong coffee note and i really taste the honey in this. we will see how it pans out next week and after some time in the bottle.

Hey - sorry I missed your post - it's been a busy week!

How are things going now? That description of coffee is right on. I kept referring it to as chocolaty above, and there is a good measure of dark chocolate there...but the coffee is probably closer to a true description. Very good stuff!

rousing the yeast did next to nothing but that's okay. i will find out for sure this weekend once i bottle. i really need to keg over 100 bottles to fill and cap is excessive.

Hey -

From what I can see, things are probably good. When I type the recipe into Brewer's Friend, the FG comes out to be 1.019, so I'd say that you're not terribly far away.

Hope it's going well!

Awesome - looking forward to your report!
I recall that this beer started out great, but got even better as it got older, so be sure to hold a few back for a few months. :mug:

And, if you do any cooking at home, look up the recipe for Carbonnade Flamande - this beer is perfect for it. :)

well i bottled Sunday. i made a mistake and added 12 oz of honey and not 8. i figured it should be fine, last night i decided to open the first one up and see how things are cooking. super super good! very balanced not as dark or toasty as i had expected. smooth with a nice yeast smell and flavor. my last sip i picked up on a banana note but i expect that to go away. thanks to my mistake with the honey, i get a nice honey note extremely good in this beer, but it did over carb so i plan to pour the beers high to let out some of the carbonation. i would definitely make this again and again.

i also pick up some clove notes, if i remember right i used a non clove honey. guessing it could be yeast? i cant wait to have this after its had some time to really get happy.

Last edited:
Hi, Jacko - it sounds like this came out very well! I am guessing that in a couple of weeks you are really going to enjoy it.

If it's a little over-carbed now, I'd recommend putting them in the fridge now, or otherwise keeping them cool. Then, before you open one again, put it in the freezer for maybe 10 minutes. In my experience, this tames over-carbed beer very well, unless it is very extreme over-carbonation. It is also possible that things might also settle down over time; I've had that happen a couple of times, too.

I'm very glad that you like this, and - looking at the weather turning outside - am reminded that I should be making some more, myself!

Latest posts

Back