Yeast Starter in an Extract.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anxiousbrewer

Reaction score
Hi everyone, as I get more and more into brewing the more I want to experiment and build my own recipes. I'm still only brewing with extract and dry yeast but have read liquid is better with way more possibilites. Does anyone have advise on which liquid yeast to go with and whether or not I'm just wasting time doing a starter with extract beer? Can a person wash and recycle dry yeast?

Doing extract, PM, or all-grain is not related to the need for a starter. As for what kind, usually recipes will have it listed. For certain styles it can be pretty important, for others it can really come down to preference. For example, I like to use WLP001 and WLP013 in my house - depends on what flavors I'm looking for (or not looking for).

And sure you can wash dry yeast - after the initial use you would treat it the same as a liquid yeast. Just don't make a starter with dry yeast the first time you use it, it has been packed such that it is not necessary.

Back