Hello from Afghanistan!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s4l

Reaction score
Hello! I'm s4l, I'm 21 and married with 1 son and 2 dogs. Currently serving in the US Army and am deployed to Afghanistan until next spring, which is when I intend to start brewing. I joined up to absorb as much info, hints, tips, and recipes as I can, as well as find some valuable reviews on beginner brewing kits. I absolutely love the site, very well laid out and very, very informative.

Thanks for the awesome resource!

-s4l

Welcome! thanks for serving our country. I'd look into Northern Brewer, Midwest Brewing, or Austin Homebrew for a beginner kit. Cheers!

Will do! Do you have any preference over the others for customer service and shipping rates?

Thanks,
-s4l

Welcome and Thank you. If your in Texas i'll definitely go with Austin home brew. Two days once they ship to your door. I never had a problem with them, and if i did they correct it instantly. Austin has flate rate, i think $8 orders under $100 and $5 for orders over $100. I might be off a little but its not bad for shipping. also, sometimes they will have a free shipping weekend ever now-and-again.

Prosit!
Dustin

I'd look into Northern Brewer, Midwest Brewing, or Austin Homebrew

You can't really go wrong with any of these. Austin would be quicker shipping to Texas, but comparing these three would be a good place. A lot of people fill the carts of all three and order the cheapest each time.

Welcome and Thank you. If your in Texas i'll definitely go with Austin home brew. Two days once they ship to your door. I never had a problem with them, and if i did they correct it instantly. Austin has flate rate, i think $8 orders under $100 and $5 for orders over $100. I might be off a little but its not bad for shipping. also, sometimes they will have a free shipping weekend ever now-and-again.

Prosit!
Dustin

You can't really go wrong with any of these. Austin would be quicker shipping to Texas, but comparing these three would be a good place. A lot of people fill the carts of all three and order the cheapest each time.

Thanks very much for the quick responses! Looks like I'll be looking into Austin then as it's only an hour from Hood. Heck, I might even drive down and pick it up.

Thanks much,
-s4l

Welcome, You will find you can burn a lot of your down time here. Stay safe and Thanks for your service.

I just got back last week from afgahnastan, I was in Shindand and some other fobs up north. You can also check out morebeer, I ordered my gear before I left and it was waiting on me when I got home. I brewed my first beer today. I did a lot of research while I was there ( not like there was a lot to do ) and jumped right into all grain. Good luck and hurry home.

I just got back last week from afgahnastan, I was in Shindand and some other fobs up north. You can also check out morebeer, I ordered my gear before I left and it was waiting on me when I got home. I brewed my first beer today. I did a lot of research while I was there ( not like there was a lot to do ) and jumped right into all grain. Good luck and hurry home.

Yeah, I've been doing TONS of research, lol. I'm up here in RC-East, Logar Province. -_- What's your MOS?

I'll look into morebeer, thanks for the suggestion!

I was in the 'Ghan myself bro. Did 3 18 month tours. That place is a hole. I was over the on FOB Chapman, Khowst province. Good luck, keep your head low, and welcome to HBT.

15T, medivac crew chief we coverd all of the west, am really glad I am gone. Now I have to figure out what I am going to do for 33 days off. Def going to brew but the wife can't get off so I am stuck home catching up on the honey do list from hell.

Welcome! My son is just finishing up EOD training at Eglin (89D I think??) and I'm retired Navy. Thanks for your service and happy brewing. Stay safe and hurry home.

Hi. First and foremost, thank you for your service to your country. My son is proudly serving in the US Army, transferring from Fort Lee, Va to Fort Carson next week. I'm retired Navy. If you are stationed in Fort Bragg, there's not a whole lot there as far as LHBS, however if you can get up to Raleigh, check out American Brewmasters, they are very friendly and helpful.

Thank you very much for your service. And secondly welcome to the hobby/lifestyle. As stated earlier the folks @ Austin hbs are great to work with.

15T, medivac crew chief we coverd all of the west, am really glad I am gone. Now I have to figure out what I am going to do for 33 days off. Def going to brew but the wife can't get off so I am stuck home catching up on the honey do list from hell.

Very nice! I'm gonna drop my 153A packet when I get back. Enjoy the leave! Can't wait for mine..

Welcome! My son is just finishing up EOD training at Eglin (89D I think??) and I'm retired Navy. Thanks for your service and happy brewing. Stay safe and hurry home.

Thanks! God bless your son, make sure he keeps his head down.

Hi. First and foremost, thank you for your service to your country. My son is proudly serving in the US Army, transferring from Fort Lee, Va to Fort Carson next week. I'm retired Navy. If you are stationed in Fort Bragg, there's not a whole lot there as far as LHBS, however if you can get up to Raleigh, check out American Brewmasters, they are very friendly and helpful.

What's your son do? I'm down at Hood, but probably getting orders to Bragg when I get back. Thanks for the tip!

Thank you very much for your service. And secondly welcome to the hobby/lifestyle. As stated earlier the folks @ Austin hbs are great to work with.

Thanks much! I plan on driving down to Austin HBS when I get back.

s4l,
Im out here right now too but should be goin back to Ft Carson real soon then a PCS to Germany. I did the same thing though and got into homebrewing right before i left and have been out here for the last nine months ordering things and planning my brew rig. My wife says my garage looks like a homebrew store warehouse cause of all the boxes of **** I have ordered. So heads up its real easy to spend a bunch of money while you're out here. Have fun stay safe out here and get home so you can enjoy some homebrew.

Back