Made my first great beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopKeller

Reaction score
It (only) took 5 batches, but, I made a beer that I REALLY want to drink - an IPA w/ Challenger Hops finished w/ Amarillo for dryhopping.

The reasons (thanks to HBT.com) it all came together are as follows:
*Sufficiently Sanitized Everything (Spray Bottle full of Starsan is a must)
*Maintained steady steeping temp
*Chilled the wort quickly to the proper pitching temp
*Good aeration (shake the **** out of the fermentor)
*Maintained ideal temps fermention temps.

Mostly, I'd like to share this with other fellow-newbs who, like me, are struggling.
I put my brew-tools together on a shoestring - wife bought my basic kit and I found my turkey frier, pot and freezer on Craigslist (all for >$100). I honestly feel like I can make beer that rivals what I can buy in the store. Obviously, I have an enormous amount to learn and many mistakes to make, but, I can rest assured tonight knowing that the beer in my brew closet (that I made) is damn good.

ChallengerIPA.jpg

Congrats! I had this same realization with the beers I have chilling right now. My first brew was ok, but the last three I made are amazing. color, head, flavor, all of them amazing. It's a really great feeling. Good luck on the next batch!

Congrats! I had this same realization with the beers I have chilling right now. My first brew was ok, but the last three I made are amazing. color, head, flavor, all of them amazing. It's a really great feeling. Good luck on the next batch!

Yeah, my first and second were pretty bad. The third and fourth were much improved. This one just tastes like damn good beer. No off-flavors, no apologies.

Back