differences in LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJherman

Reaction score
Hello all!! I am finishing up my third batch of extract brew. The first two were awful, but im confident that this one will turn out great. my question is regarding LME. i found a recipe that i really like and i cant find one ingredient, its extra pale LME. can i substitute light or extra light malt syrup? what is the difference between the two? Thank you for all the help. this forum is invaluable in terms of brewing information. mad props to all of you.

Don't think it will make much difference. Just use the lightest LME you can find.

Different extracts contribute different flavors. I've done dual batches where everything was the same, except the brand/kind of extract. Often, the difference is noticeable.

Extra Pale LME could represent this or this or even this.

I buy the Alexander's at my LHBS from their 55-gallon drum for about $1.75/lb, far cheaper than buying it canned.

Latest posts

Back