Steeping grain question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickwin

Reaction score
When steeping specialty grains or doing a partial mash, should the grains be steeped in the full 5-6 gallons that will be boiled, or should they be steeped in a smaller amount of water? I have also read in various places steeping temps of 155F all the way to 170F, what's the best temp to steep grains at, and what is the ideal temp for the sparge water?

If it is just for steeping I will normally stick right around 154-155 degrees. If it is a partial mash recipe the temperature of your mash will affect your wort. If I am not mistaken a fairly middle of the road mash temp for medium body is 154, but I haven't quite gotten into the AG just yet, but I am doing my research!:D

Yes steep them in the full 5-6 gallons if you are doing a full boil. For a partial mash you would not be mashing in the full 5-6 gallons you would need another pot or a mash tun.

170 degrees is a sparge water temp to stop conversion, if you were to steep your specialty grains at theat temperature you would probably extract some tannins. You could actually steep specialty grains in cold water overnight, steeping grains is similar to making tea.

Back