DFH Indian Brown Ale clone (extreme Brewing)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castillo

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone out there has brewed the Indian Brown ale clone recipe that's in the extreme brewing book? The recipe calls for .5 oz warrior at 60 minutes for 50 IBU's but after I entered the recipe into Beersmith .5 oz of warrior only gives around 27 IBU's.

castillo said:
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone out there has brewed the Indian Brown ale clone recipe that's in the extreme brewing book? The recipe calls for .5 oz warrior at 60 minutes for 50 IBU's but after I entered the recipe into Beersmith .5 oz of warrior only gives around 27 IBU's.

Check your boil volume in beer Smith. It looks like it is set up for a partial boil which will decrease your hop utilization. Guessing you have it set to a 3 gallon boil instead of a full one.

What's the AA% on the Warrior you picked up in relation to the recipe (if it's listed on the recipe)? Adjust the amount added accordingly to get to your desired IBU's.

AA% is 16 on the Warrior I have. The recipe doesn't state the AA%. Beersmith tells me I need 1 oz. to achieve 54 IBU's. Should I go with that?

AA% is 16 on the Warrior I have. The recipe doesn't state the AA%. Beersmith tells me I need 1 oz. to achieve 54 IBU's. Should I go with that?

Yup, the AA% always varies. All you have to do is adjust the amount used then to get the IBU's you're looking for. If Beersmith is telling you 1 oz. gives you the IBU's you need, then do that and you'll be golden.

Latest posts

Back