beer pushing out of secondary airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
This is a new one for me. I have a Wee Heavy/Strong Scotch Ale sitting in secondary bulk aging. I went away camping for 3 days and when I came back I found that the beer had pushed up into the airlock (see pic below).

I brewed this beer on March 29th.
OG = 1.080
yeast = WLP028 (Edinburgh Ale)
Racked to carboy (with minimal headspace) on May 10th...FG = at least 1.018 (I didn't actually check it when I racked, but 2.5 weeks earlier)
Beer was originally at 63°F...but my cellar temp has now risen to ~70°F

I am assuming that the increase temperature caused the beer to expand enough so that it made contact with the bottom of the air lock and then capillary action took over from there...but, is there an alternate reason this might happen? Could it still be fermenting? Infection?

Also, is there any concern about the beer now being in contact with the bottom of the rubber bung? Will off-flavors result? I guess I should just siphon off a little bit of beer to be safe, but has anyone had this happen to them?

(note: I fill my airlock with vodka)

airlock_overflow.jpg

This happened when I filled my secondary with my barleywine almost to the top of the carboy. It is caused by the change in temperature. I wouldn't worry about any off-flavors or anything. Just remove the airlock clean, fill back up and put back on. Now that the temp should be stabilized, I wouldn't worry about it happening again.

This happened when I filled my secondary with my barleywine almost to the top of the carboy. It is caused by the change in temperature. I wouldn't worry about any off-flavors or anything. Just remove the airlock clean, fill back up and put back on. Now that the temp should be stabilized, I wouldn't worry about it happening again.

Thanks. This is exactly what I did. I also sucked out some of the beer to give just a bit more headspace. Tasted fine :)

:mug:

Back