Wyeast 1272? Fast start, slow finish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paliessmann

Reaction score
Just brewed an IPA using 9.9 lbs of breiss Pilsen extract, and used 2 smackpacks of wyeast 1272. OG was 1.071. It started fermenting very fast(4-6) hours and by morning blew the lid off my fermenter! This is my first time using this yeast. Now after 2 days it has slowed down considerably. Has anyone else had any expireince with this that can ease my mind?

I use Wyeast 1272 all the time. Hasn't shown any signs of explosive fermentation when the temperature is held in the low 60° range. Possible problem may be a fermentor that is to small, blew the lid, or you aren't controlling the fermentation temperature.

I use Wyeast 1272 all the time. Hasn't shown any signs of explosive fermentation when the temperature is held in the low 60° range. Possible problem may be a fermentor that is to small, blew the lid, or you aren't controlling the fermentation temperature.

This^^^^^^.

1272 is one of my go to yeasts and I have never had that problem. At the right temp it is a great yeast. I relly like how it drops out and you get nice clear brews.

beergolf said:
This^^^^^^.

1272 is one of my go to yeasts and I have never had that problem. At the right temp it is a great yeast. I relly like how it drops out and you get nice clear brews.

Thanks for the advice. I think the temp has been the problem. It's at about 68-75 range. Probably just need to drop the temp a little.

Sorry for the thread highjack. I used 1272 in my last brew and noticed the smell was a little more stinky than the 1056. Is this normal for 1272?

Back