Noob - Stressing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pabst51

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here. Been reading through about everything on here and using the search function to find the answers to most of my concerns but it is time to throw a question out there....

I bought a Belgian-Style White Kit from my local Liquid Hobby Store and it has been an interesting ride so far. I'm going through all the noob stress since this is my first batch. OK.... This was a malt extract kit and I steeped the hops. The boil went well as best I can tell and I had no boil overs. I had trouble getting the wort down to the suggested pitching temp. (because the instructions omitted that I should rapid cool) but I got there and pitched the provided yeast from the kit. It is Muntons - E491. I have been reading about primary fermentation temps in the old posts and am getting kinda mixed signals about what temp I should be striving for through this period. I'm seeing suggested general temps and then I see specific ranges for specific yeast strains and beer styles....

So far I'm doing good to hold the temps here at a high of 73 / low gets to about 69. (To be honest I wasn't prepared for the fermentation temp fight from the kit instruction omissions also) I have read several replies from heavy posters here that say the Belgium Ales tend to have higher temp range.

***Can Anyone tell me the temp range for this style beer and with that yeast???? ***

I'm not expecting much from this first try but it sure would be nice to have a drinkable ale at the end of it all... :mug:

I neglected to add: I am at day 3, Bubbles were very active on day 2 but have drastically slowed today. I (per kit instruction) opened the bucket and added orange peal to the wort and took the SG which was 1.030 / I started at 1.051 (within the acceptable range per instructions) It is working.....

The yeast seems to be Munton's Gold, which I have not used but I would keep std. ale yeast fermentation temps (not room temp) below 68*.
It is not a true Belgian yeast so I wouldn't ferment it high to get more esters.
When they say "Belgian-style White" I think of Blue Moon which uses standard, clean ale yeast US 05.
good luck!

I'd relax, being its a Belgian style your temps are about right. I'd try to keep it a little cooler than 73. Somewhere around 68-70. The beer inside will be a degree or two higher. Try putting the bucket in a shallow tote with some cool water. It should knock down the temp.

I'm pretty new as well (only 4 batches). But it seems like you should be alright if you've been keeping it between 69-73 F.

The only thing that I wonder is how often/quickly has it been varying within that range? Most of my reading has led me to believe keeping the temp steady is at least as important as keeping within the recommended range. If it was around 73 when it started fermenting and gradually dropped to 69 as the fermentation slowed, that would be consistent with the warmth produced by the fermentation process. If it was 69 over night and 73 by the afternoon every day, that might lead to some problems (maybe?), or at least plenty of noob stress.

Regardless, you should end up with a decent beer. I made plenty of what I thought were huge mistakes on my first batch and it has turned out to be super tasty.

I'm a noob too, so take it with a grain of salt. I've been fermenting with the same fluctuating ambient room temps, and so far, all have turned out well. Are the temps you speak of the temps of the fermenting beer itself? Or are they ambient room temps? Either way I would RDWHAHB and think about future plans for a swamp cooler or fermentation chamber. Damn. I thought this hobby was going to save us money.

The temps I gave are from the wort (floating thermometer) and I have a temp sticker on the tub also.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I know from reading through hundreds of threads that I need to just chill (pardon the pun) and relax... The temp thing was just getting to me.

The only thing that I wonder is how often/quickly has it been varying within that range? Most of my reading has led me to believe keeping the temp steady is at least as important as keeping within the recommended range. If it was around 73 when it started fermenting and gradually dropped to 69 as the fermentation slowed, that would be consistent with the warmth produced by the fermentation process. If it was 69 over night and 73 by the afternoon every day, that might lead to some problems (maybe?), or at least plenty of noob stress.

To be honest the 69 was pushing it... I haven't looked at the sticker thermometer and seen it any less than 71, no higher than 73... I was guessing it dipped a little more through the night... That darn thing isn't easy to read and I question how accurate it is. I did drop the floating thermometer in while I was checking the SG so I could calc. the temp adjustment for the real SG. It was dead on 73 just at sunset, probably the hottest part of the day in that part of the house.

The yeast seems to be Munton's Gold, which I have not used but I would keep std. ale yeast fermentation temps (not room temp) below 68*.
It is not a true Belgian yeast so I wouldn't ferment it high to get more esters.
When they say "Belgian-style White" I think of Blue Moon which uses standard, clean ale yeast US 05.
good luck!
Thanks for the input and info... To be honest I started with this kit because Blue Moon is what my Lady likes to drink. Thinking next time around I'll use the US-05. I'm guessing I will shoot for the higher wort temps using that yeast?

I'm a noob too, so take it with a grain of salt. I've been fermenting with the same fluctuating ambient room temps, and so far, all have turned out well. Are the temps you speak of the temps of the fermenting beer itself? Or are they ambient room temps? Either way I would RDWHAHB and think about future plans for a swamp cooler or fermentation chamber. Damn. I thought this hobby was going to save us money.

I know right? That was one of my motivations of getting into brewing, but its hard not to spend as much as you can afford to have an awesome setup.

It's like as soon as I get a FV, I realize that I need to brew another batch and need another fermenter. Then, someone asks a question like the op, and I NEED a fridge for fermentation. But now I've brewed all this beer so I should probably keg it. Shoot, now I need a keezer. Eight taps sounds good enough. Stainless towers with perlick's. FUUUUUUUUUUUuUUU. I can't wait to spend it all in the pursuit of the delicious nectar that I MADE.

Pabst51 said:
Thinking next time around I'll use the US-05. I'm guessing I will shoot for the higher wort temps using that yeast?

Nope!!
US 05 is *The* american ale yeast ... so ferment it mid to low 60s.
Blue Moon is nothing like a real belgian white because of the clean american yeast.
If you want a real belgian, use WL 400 (wit yeast).
ps I brew my blue moon clone for the ladieezzz too ;) there is a good post here on hbt by wayne1 who was a Coors brewer.

Nope!!
US 05 is *The* american ale yeast ... so ferment it mid to low 60s.
Blue Moon is nothing like a real belgian white because of the clean american yeast.
If you want a real belgian, use WL 400 (wit yeast).

Sooooo much to learn..... I'm sure it will all come with time... :(

Funny, I have been using the search feature to get answers to most of my questions but I never once thought to just simply type in "Blue Moon" to look for clone recipes and discussions... Back to reading.....

FYI - not all asserted "clone" recipes are 100% accurate. So you should take them with a grain of salt until/unless you research what is actually in the target beer & find one that matches.
For example many people writeup Blue Moon clones that dont use the right yeast. It might be a more tasty beer but isnt a true "clone"-- if that matters to you. Personally, I would try both ... you can split 1 batch into 2 diff fermenters and pitch 2 diff yeasts (US 05; and the other: WL 400 or its WY equiv) & see what you/she likes better.
have fun.
and ps, good job on using search...I would bet that all of your noob questions have already been answered, trust me. :)
but if not someone will answer it, again.
cheers
Wendy

I would bet that all of your noob questions have already been answered, trust me. :)
but if not someone will answer it, again.
cheers
Wendy

Thank you so much for the encouragement and the suggestions....

I have been reading, and reading, and reading..... through that post. I think I have the basics down thanks to Wayne1's persistence that he posted the original formula... So many things to "tweak" the flavors.....

I do have one question I didn't want to post there but maybe you would be so good as to reply... In my kit (not intended to be a BM clone, I realize) it asked me to add 1/2 of the Orange Peel at 10 mins to end of boil... THEN is goes on to say to add the other 1/2 after fermentation slows in the primary. Is there any merit to this process? And at which point would I get more of the flavors from the addition?

Back