Chocolate Cream Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsquared

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For the past two years I have been all grain brewing for recipes I get from books or the Internet. For the most part they go okay, I had quite a few disasters in the beginning, but now I can get a fairly good result using some one else's recipe. Las week I started playing around with so spread sheets that I down loaded, and worked out how to use them. This is my First recipe, so let me know what you think.

I settled on the BYO Spread sheet. I got out my books and notes and set up an extra section to I could calculate the amount of water needed and at what temperature I would need to do a temperature control mash. I think I did a good job on the calculations because a was able to hit all my desired temperatures in the mash, go a good conversion, and hit my OG almost on the money. Though I need to work on my efficiency because I am at ~65% with this batch , so I think I need to work on my sparging technique.

Chocolate cream porter recipe If you want to see I have the excel file here. But I think it is going to be close what I was shooting for. I really have been wanting to try to make a Cream ale like the Anderson Vally Summer cervesa crema, but being that it is winter I thought that a porter would be nice. I made up this recipe to try to get a creamy dark chocolate flavor, not to sweet and a little spicy like a good dark chocolate.

Umm-Wort.jpg ummm-porter.jpg
So my taste of the wart before fermentation leads me to think that the MT. Hood hop will lead the taste a little of the mark( too spicy) , but if it mellow out it should be just right.

1.050.jpg

8# Two row pale
1# Flaked Maze
.5# Chocolate Malt (roasted)
.5# Black patent malt
.5# Crystal 40L
.5# Bisquit Malt

Tettnager 1.5oz 60min
Cascade 1oz 30min
MT. Hood 1oz 5min

estimated OG 1.051
Actual OG 1.050

Pitch WL Irish ale 70ºF ferment at 65-68ºF
Total Iso-Alpha Acid Desired: 35

My biggest problem about this batch is I need a Bigger pot! I had a gallon in a separate pot after the sparge, I really thought my pot could hold every thing, but It would have been full to the brim!

cant wait to try it in a month!

I got home today from the holidays with the family, and my porter was still bubbling away. but vary slowly. so i moved it to the secondary.

SG is at 1.009 so it still has some time, my little taster was good, but it definitely needs more time. the Mt Hood hop in the final boil is starting to mellow out but it might be a little too hoped up

CCP_1.009.jpg

I am happy with this one! it needs a little more time in the bottle, but it came out great. I thought that the Mt. hood hop added too much to the beer but after 5 weeks in the secondary and a week in the bottle it mellowed right out and gave the beer the dark chocolate feel I wanted. I will defiantly be brewing this again.

a couple interesting notes: the Buisquet and corn mellow out the smoked flavor of the porter, so I might try to increase the amount of black malt or reduce the corn. I also will really like to try this N2 charged.

CCP.jpg:mug:

Looks mighty tasty! I'm making a porter soon from my own recipe as well. Your's has a more interesting grain bill though, but mine has Mt Hood and some other hoppiness to it like yours.

Back