Heading to the home brew shop in the morning...Boddingtons clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubster

Reaction score
Need to grab a few goodies for my first bottling...auto siphon and bucket with a spigot...I thought I might as well grab the stuff for another brew. Thinking hard about doing a Boddingtons style pub ale. Just wondering if someone could help point me towards a tried and true recipe? I plan on trying an all grain BIAB method this time around.

Note: a Boddingtons clone that isn't (keg) carbonated with nitrogen will be a fizzy yellow ale, not the creamy dream that is a Boddingtons. Friendly FYI.

Thanks both of you. I did read that it's hard/nearly impossible to get that same creamy beer that comes from the can in a home brew, but I also read that Boddingtons on tap is quite different than in the can as well, for the better even. Not sure. I'd love to try it. I'm not set on doing a Boddingtons though. It was just one of my choices that I was considering. The others being a cream ale, a brown ale, and possibly a pumpkin wheat.

Nubster said:
The others being a cream ale, a brown ale, and possibly a pumpkin wheat.

I made a brown ale recently that came out awesome. Was shooting for a Sierra Nevada Tumbler. Came out like a cross of that and Newcastle. In case you want it here was my recipe:
4lbs 2row
4lbs marris otter
1lb crystal 40
1/2 lb weyerman smoked malt
1/2 lb chocolate malt

1/2 oz challenger @60
1 oz east kent goldings @ 15
1/2 oz challenger @ 15
US05 yeast
Mash at 153 for 1 hr

Good luck!

--beermethatbeer

According to the Real Ale Drinkers Almanac, Boddingtons Bitter has an OG of 1.035.
The grain bill is:
95.5% pale malt (that would be a UK pale malt like Maris Otter)
1.5% patent malt.
3% cane sugar
I would not like to add the patent malt to the mash, but Gordon Strong says that you can add it at the start of the sparge to get the color without the overpowering taste. I have never tried this, but will do someday.

The hops they use are:
8% Bramling Cross
35% Fuggles
30% Goldings
5% Northern Brewer
22% Whitbread Goldings
But I have no clue about the hopping schedule

They also prime with cane sugar.

Good luck.

-a.

Note: a Boddingtons clone that isn't (keg) carbonated with nitrogen will be a fizzy yellow ale, not the creamy dream that is a Boddingtons.

Boddingtons was a popular Real Ale a long time before the use of nitrogen, and the invention of the widget in the cans. A great draught beer.

According to the Real Ale Drinkers Almanac, Boddingtons Bitter has an OG of 1.035.
The grain bill is:
95.5% pale malt (that would be a UK pale malt like Maris Otter)
1.5% patent malt.
3% cane sugar
I would not like to add the patent malt to the mash, but Gordon Strong says that you can add it at the start of the sparge to get the color without the overpowering taste.

Add it when you sparge. It doesn't contribute much to the color or flavor. I think it's main purpose is as a clarifying agent. You don't really need to use it.

1.5% is about 1 ounce in 5 gallons for an OG of 1.035 beer.

Back