How long will bottles stay sanitized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
I have 21 22oz bottles in my stove right now at 225. going to let it go for 1 hour 40 minutes to accommodate for preheating. will they stay sterile as long as i leave aluminum foil over them?

How long are we talking before you bottle with them? Unless you create a very secure seal, outside air can get in and with it comes bacteria. If you rubber band the aluminum foil and keep it on their mostly air tight some other way, it should be fine for a few days, if you want it completely sterile. In brewing, it is not usually necessary to be completely sterile, so you could probably keep them that way for a week or more, depending on how drafty the place you store them is, etc.

I sanitize and stand them up right on my bottling bench with out covering the bottles. I might risk infection, haven't had one yet though. Countless batches to date. I usually bottle an hour or two after i stand them on the bench. Bottled two batches this way yesterday.

alright how long should i let them cool before bottling? in the process of getting everything sanitized

as long as the foil is on there tight and you store you bottles foil side up your good. bacteria, mold, and wild yeast are not ninjas. they will grow down not up and wont fight their way past the foil.

but how long should they take to cool down to temp so they don't break when capping? it's been half hour and they are still pretty warm. i don't want bottling to take all day. how far in advance can i prepare the priming solution?

When i used to do that, it'd only take about 30mins to be only warm to the touch. I streamlined everything now to save me time, two auto siphons, one in starsan the other in the beer. It gets starsan'd then straight to the beer (I don't shake it, i just fill it up all the way with starsan then dump it out, so i don't get foam from the starsan).

But it doesn't have to be absolutely cool, people might say there will be off flavors but i tasted zero difference in my beers since i've switched to starsan instead of the oven (got tired of waiting the 30mins). If you can hold it in your bare hand and only feel your own body heat, I think you are fine. Never broke a warm bottle so that's not a real concern.

Edit: To cool them faster I take them out of the oven and spread them out so the bottles are at least a fist lengths away from each other.

yeah they where going too slow so i put them on the deck where it's around 33 degrees outside. seemed to do the trick. all bottled ended up with 16 22oz bottles and a 12 pack of 12 oz bottles is that a good yield?

I have left oven baked bottles with foil for over two weeks without problem. As long as you keep them in a draft free environment, you will be fine.

yeah they where going too slow so i put them on the deck where it's around 33 degrees outside. seemed to do the trick. all bottled ended up with 16 22oz bottles and a 12 pack of 12 oz bottles is that a good yield?

Depends on how many gallons you were brewing. My 5gal batches will do 24 pack of 12oz bottles AND a 12pk of 22oz bottles plus a few extra bottles (between 2-4) depending on how patient i was with racking.

I have 21 22oz bottles in my stove right now at 225. going to let it go for 1 hour 40 minutes to accommodate for preheating. will they stay sterile as long as i leave aluminum foil over them?
The answer is yes - as long as you maintain seal on the top of the bottle.

as long as the foil is on there tight and you store you bottles foil side up your good. bacteria, mold, and wild yeast are not ninjas. they will grow down not up and wont fight their way past the foil.

I dunno....I've recently been the victim of some sneaky bacteria......and ninjas are sneaky......so maybe bacteria, mold, and wild yeast are ninja and you're on their take!!!

Murp,

If you wash up your bottles and bake them at 300 deg F for 1 hour, then anything living in that bottle before the oven treatment will be dead.

DY

16 * 22 = 352 oz
12 * 12 = 144 oz
352 + 144 = 496 oz

1 gal = 128 oz (http://tinyurl.com/2dele4v)

496 / 128 = 3.875 gal.

Not that good, actually. Sorry!

A more compact yeast cake will help you get more beer per batch. Also, what I do is when the beer starts to get extra yeasty or trub-y, is I put it in a carafe (or a pitcher), put that in the fridge, and let the junk settle for a couple hours. Then you can drink it (if it's wine!) or bottle it (if it's beer). It also makes it easy to harvest yeast. :)

Latest posts

Back