What to do when you have more wort then your boil pot has room for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Reaction score
So I was planning on making the 8-8-08 RIS that many of you guys made. So I was doing some planning and saw that when it was all said and done, after mash water (1.2 qt/lb) and sparge water (.5 gal/lb) I was going to end up with 13.6 gallons of wort. My problem is that I only have a 8 gallon boil pot.

My question for you guys is that, without going and buying another pot, what are my options here. Could I just split them up into seperate pots and then just gradually add them as I get more room in the boil pot?

I'd just boil what you are comfortable with and add more as the volume lowers. I'd start the hop additions when you add the last gallon of wort - assuming a boil off rate of 1 gal. per hour.

I agree, top it off as it boils down OR run it off in seperate sterilized containers to make starters or malt vinegar.

This type of beer really begs to be partigyled rather than using a 4 hour boil fest. I would calculate out, via software of course, a grain bill and mash thickness that would yeild a 7 gallon preboil via first runnings only. When I did that for my barleywine partigyle, the gravity was worth about 60% of the entire grain bill potential. The sparge after that produced another 25%. The interesting thing is, 85% (the collective effieciency for the grain bill) is close to my normal efficiency. If yours is lower, like 70%, I'd assume 55% for first runnings and 15% for second.

Bobby,

I've never heard of that term used before. Could you post a link that does a good job explaining this (or describe it yourself).

Ryan, there are a lot of writeups out there on partigyle. The digest version is that you use a relatively large grainbill (you are anyway) and use the first runnings for your big beer and second runnings for a totally separate smaller beer. It's a way of getting as much beer for the grainbill as possible without having to do 4 hour boils. It uses a little more grain but you get twice as much beer.

Back