2 wheat beers on 11/21/12

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
I'm making two, one-gallon batches tomorrow. A New Zealand wheat pale ale and a untraditional dunkelweizen.

The grain bills are identical:
1 pound munich
1 pound white wheat malt

I will be mashing the entire grain bill together, and then seperating for boil and hopping.

The NZWPA will get 5g of Pacific Gem hops (13.5%AA) at 20 minutes, and will be dry hopped with 5g of the same. OG 1.5 IBU 28 Hop flavor and aroma off the charts

The untraditional dunkelweizen will get 1.25g of Pacific Gem hops (13.5%AA) at 60 minutes. OG 1.5 IBU 11 Hop flavor and aroma should be barely noticable.

Both brews will be pitched with WLP300 hefeweizen yeast and fermented using the swamp cooler method. Hope to keep fermentation temps between 62 and 67.

I have a small amount of Carafa I'm thinking of adding to the dunkel. Can I steep that in the wort after mashing and prior to boiling?:confused: I think I can, but haven't done much reading on steeping.

You can mill the crafa like normal and add it after the mash is complete prior to vorlauf. Then just vorlauf a few times till it picks up the color and drain to the boil kettle. You can do all your steeping grains this way. This is what I do for the dark grains that I dont want brining my PH down too much in the mash. Works great and it helps to give it all the color it needs without the extra bitterness.

How can I do that when I only want the carafa in 1/2 of the wort?
My plan was to mash, sparge, and split the wort 50/50 into two seperate boil pots.

Are you saying to dump one of those two back into the mash tun with the carafa added to the grains?

I wouldnt see any harm in doing that, but you could always steep the grains seperately and then add to the half that you want.

Latest posts

Back