Made a crazy wit beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unibrow

Reaction score
Added some valencia orange peel, a bit of lemon peel, cracked black peppercorns, coriander seeds and 1 pod of star anise with the seeds for 20 mins at end of boil

It's a Belgian wit recipe with wlp400 and OG of 1.050 so it should be ready to bottle in 2 weeks

Kinda thinking that I went overboard with spices, but interested to see how it comes out. Anybody try anything like this before?

I was going to make a Wit myself today but didn't have enough time to mess with a mash so I made an extract Amber ale instead.
My plan is to add 3/4 oz. coriander and 1-1/2 oz valencia orange peels. I may add some lemon or bitter orange to give it a bit of bite.
I did a side by side comparison of blue moon and shock top over the weekend, I prefer the shock top, it has just a bit more of the citrus twang, I think they use bitter peels and blue moon uses Valencia?
Just my guess anyway.

I think it's great that you're going heavy on the spices since most of the local witbiers are pretty muted. Last time I made a wit it was for the summer and I went heavy on orange zest; your spices are closer to mulling spices, which will be nice for the autumn.

If you allowed all the solids to go into the fermenter, keep tabs on the spice profile by tasting now and again. You may find that the yeast needs to be in suspension to get that great wit flavor, and even then it can get overpowered.

That is a lot of spice. Should be interesting! But did you throw it all in with 20 min left? The later you throw in will give you the most flavor. So even though you had a lot to throw in, it was so early that I doubt it will be to strong of a flavor.

That is a lot of spice. Should be interesting! But did you throw it all in with 20 min left? The later you throw in will give you the most flavor. So even though you had a lot to throw in, it was so early that I doubt it will be to strong of a flavor.

Thanks for the feedback yall. Bittering hops was UK Golding and Aroma hops was Czech Saaz

I added all spices with 20 mins left in a mesh bag, so nothing went into the fermenter. The fermentation just started bubbling up after 12 hours, and i'm keeping it on the cool side to start...it's going to start around 63 degrees and warm up to 70 by end of week.

what yeast did you use if you don't mind me asking?
I am going back and forth on my recipe, if I want the clove-ish taste of a traditional wheat yeast or use a more neutral yeast.

I used WLP 400 - i think you can get more clove flavor with WLP 300 at the proper temps though

Back