two beer styles same ferment temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
Hi i will be brewing a wheat ale this weekend as the first of my warm weather beers. Next i want to do a rather fast finishing duo of beers that my bud light drinking friends and family will enjoy. I will ferment these (the two other beers) in a chest freezer so i can do 2 12 gallon batches. The key is i want a lighter beer like an american pils etc and another....maybe not as light. Keep in mind i dont brew these often. These people loved my kolsch but the turnaround is too slow. Any ideas? Thanks. The key here is the beers have to ferment at the same temp.

you have a lot of options if you used chico yeast - i use it with great success in a cream ale, can be ready to drink in just a few weeks if you keg. you could prob make a pretty solid mock-kolsch as well

you can brew just about any other american style with that strain, APA, brown ale, etc could have a quick turnaround as well

So i would like a cream ale. Can I ferment this at 62 and do I Cali common with it. Or better yet ferment at 60f?

us-05 gives off some fruity/peachy esters at low temps but there are plenty of other clean ale yeasts you can use at that temp for the cream ale

You could use nottingham in the low 60s for your cream ale, and for just about anything else for that matter. It'll come out very clean and turnaround time will be quick. I don't like notty much personally, but everyone else seems to, and it's certainly practical.

Well not brewing this weekend as Illinois is getting a late march snowstorm. I might do a cream ale and a American wheat.....I'll use kolsch yeast in the wheat and something else in the cream at 60. Can't decide what yet.

Back