Fermenting too warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankgreenlee

Reaction score
I brewed a quick Belgian Trippel extract last week . I slowly rose the temp of fermentation using a warming belt ( in plastic ) I got side tracked and forgot to check on it for a few days , when I did check the beer itself was at 80 degrees . I took a sample and it wasn't bad . Did this go bad or can I still save it?

80 is definitely waaay too hot, but if you say you tasted it and it tasted OK, I'd see it through.

I would never use a warming belt on any beer, BTW.

If it as towards the end of fermentation, you may have even helped it, but there's no way to be certain. Sometimes it helps to give you a little more attenuation, and under attenuation tends to be the crux of Belgians.

I'd say finish it out. There's a good chance its ok. There is also the chance that unfortunately it may have added some off flavors. I abandoned a fermenter last summer to find it at 83 one day... and it was pretty off. But, it was at that temperature for a long time and was a hefe yeast. You may escape OK. I say wade it out.

Back