Monster Mill in the House!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdoiv

Reaction score
Ok,
So my 7 year old grain gobler mill finally bit the dust and I decided I needed a replacement. So, after shopping around and trying to decide what I wanted, I settled on the new Monster Mill MM-3. I ordered last Wednesday and received and email from Fred that he would ship it out of Friday once he got them from the machinist. Monday morning, the mill was sitting on my front porch. The thing is friggin' heavy! Adjustments are really easy and the workmanship is top notch.

Now that I had the mill, I needed to find something to attach it to as it doesn't have a base or hopper. So, I put my thinkin' cap on and decided that a mobile mill table was what I needed. I wanted something that I could use to both weigh my grain out on and mill on. I also wanted something that would be big enough for me to turn it into a motorized milling station down the road if I so desire.

I had some scrap plywood in the garage that looked like it would work pretty well. So, off to HD I head to pick up some wood to use for the legs and cross supports as well as additional supplies. I also wanted something that would be big enough for me to turn it into a motorized milling station down the road.

Here are the results of a couple hours of work in the garage this morning.

8384-IMAGE_033.jpg

8384-IMAGE_032.jpg

8384-IMAGE_031.jpg

Still need to make the hopper for it and I'm about to head out the door to make another trip to HD. Thought I had enough plywood to get the hopper made, but ended up with pieces that were too small. I hope to build something big enough to hold 25-30 pounds of grain. Once I get that built, I can take the mill out for a test spin. Maybe I'll brew up Wit before X-mas.

Lucky bugger! :mug:

I ordered my MM-2 a couple weeks ago but haven't received it yet (nothing at all to do with Fred he shipped immediately, it's sitting in Canadian Customs). I can't wait to get it and build up my milling station with these toys I acquired a few weeks ago.

I plan to use melamine for my hopper so it's nice and non-stick and easily cleaned. I can get extremely tight joins with it as well so nothing get stuck in gaps.

That looks awesome man! After kegging equipment is taken care of (come on Santa!), I'll be getting one of these I've decided. I like the idea of a mobile table like you built there.

Ok,
So a couple more hours of work, and I have a Monster Hopper to go with the Monster Milling Table and Monster Mill. I have no clue how much grain it will hold, but I'm pretty sure it will hold all my system will be able to take without getting a second mash tun. Check it out....

8384-IMAGE_037.jpg

8384-IMAGE_038.jpg

8384-IMAGE_039.jpg

8384-IMAGE_040.jpg

Yeah, I hate having to stop the crush to refill the hopper. I figure I can fill up two buckets of grain with it. That'd be around 45#'s of grain. Though that is a guestimate.

Yeah, I just rolled it over (it's on casters) to where the rest of the brewery sits in the garage. I've got about 5 sacks of grain on wire shelving just behind the new table, and it looks like it could hold an entire sack of grain. I may have over done it a little. But I can't stress enough how much I hate having to refill the hopper mid crush.

I put a 1x2 across the back along the bottom and screwed it in the the back V of the hopper. It holds it steady. I then attached a 1x1 to the 1x2 and made a brace up to the V in the back and use a clamp to hold everything in place (though it isn't really necessary. Since the hopper isn't permanently attached to the table, I have found that I can slide it off of the feed slot to stop the crush. This comes in handy if the mill should stall or need adjustment. It looks shaky from the front, but is really quite steady.

Wow, that's absolutely huge! You could probably do a 20 gallon batch and not run out of space in that thing!

Care to post some pics of it in action?

Don't think I'll be able to take a pic mid crush. I will take one with a normal size grain bill in the hopper though next time I brew.

A
showphoto.php
[/IMG] A friend built me this setup for my mill for $75, I was so impressed with it that I had to post it for eveyone to see.the hopper holds about 25 pounds of grain and is detachable for storage.it was made from cabinet grade plywood so it cost a little more but well worth the extra expense.if you would like the same setup email me at [email protected]

Back