Old Chub ROCKS!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knipknup

Bloody John Roberts
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is some good stuff and in cans...

Kinda like a mild ale stoutish thing. Not really dark like a stout but like an ale that tastes like a stout. Very good.:drunk:

Anyone heard of/have a clone for this?

You can get that in Idaho? It is pretty much always on sale in Boulder, $10.99 for a 12-er

Drink it constantly, it is brewed about 25 miles from me up near my favorite mountain bike ride...Oakar blues is a great place for a post ride Chubby.

My roomate named his POS car Old Chub.

Can't help you with a recipe though.

Um it's a Scottish ale. A heavy hitter at 7.something%
Yeah, good stuff, we bootleg it up here from Mass.

Ohhhhhh yeah, and BTW Hall Ranch is a great ride, I did that when I was out in Boulder last November. The brewery has got some decent wings to boot!

and then there is also the Redfish!

It definitely took a few for it to grow on me for sure. BTW: 8%!!!

From the website:

Old Chub is a Scottish strong ale brewed with hearty amounts of seven different malts, including crystal and chocolate malts, and a smidge of US and UK hops. Old Chub also gets a dash of beechwood-smoked grains imported from Bamburg, Germany, home of the world's greatest smoked beers. Old Chub is 8% alcohol by volume.

While Dale's satisfies our hop addiction, Old Chub takes care of our deep affections for malt.

The cola-colored beer (almost black) features a tan head, a creamy, skim-milk mouthfeel, and rich, semi-sweet flavors of caramel and chocolate throughout. The addition of smoked grains gives Old Chub a delicate kiss of smoke on the finish.

Old Chub is the beer equivalent of a lightly smoked single malt scotch, or your favorite dark chocolate. We call it Rocky Mountain Mutha's Milk. People who tell us defiantly, "I don't drink dark beer," often fall deeply in love with Old Chub. We can't blame them.

Like Dale's, Old Chub has won a boatload of big ink and praise from the Wall Street Journal, Celebrator Beer News, All About Beer, Alestreet News, and other publications around the US. It has also won glowing reviews from consumer reviewers at Beeradvocate.com (where it recently landed the top-rated Scotch Ale position) and Ratebeer.com.

Old Chub (and Dales) became available in my area several months ago and I am definitely a fan...very tasty! I haven't seen a clone recipe but would love to see one or someone's ideas.

I didn't really detect much hops in the Chub and have never had a smoked beer before. Not knowing it had smoked malts, I didn't pick it out. I'll have to do it again today, only this time - better!
This was love at first sip!

Back