Electrician Cost for GCFI Breaker Install

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chugmaster

Reaction score
Can anyone share how much it cost for an electrician to come and upgrade their 240v dual pole breaker to one with a GCFI? I already have 30a service to a dryer outlet.

I'm trying to weigh the cost savings of wiring a spa panel. The cheapest 40a spa panel that I can find here in Ontario is at Home Depot - $215. I figure that once I factor in wires,receptacles, etc., I'm probably looking at about $300.

Why not poke around online...you can probably pick one up for far cheaper than that ($50-80) and just wire a dryer plug($15)onto the in feed to plug into the dryer outlet. then feed to your control panel with whatever method you choose. Depending on the type of panel you have, the breaker could range from $80-200 plus the electrician. Plus if you ever move, the spa panel comes with...the same cant be said for a GFI breaker as panels maybe different from house to house.

Can anyone share how much it cost for an electrician to come and upgrade their 240v dual pole breaker to one with a GCFI? I already have 30a service to a dryer outlet.

I bet it'd knock a big chunk out of your own $300 DIY estimate.

Why not call around and ask a couple places?

eBay, a seller has them right now brand new with no box for $42 with shipping. I just ordered one a minute ago.

You are talking about two separate ideas right: swapping the 30A breaker for a 30A GFI, or wiring in an additional or replacement 40A outlet with breaker?

You are talking about two separate ideas right: swapping the 30A breaker for a 30A GFI, or wiring in an additional or replacement 40A outlet with breaker?

Yes, two separate issues.

Looks like spa panel is the most economical choice by far. Thanks for everyone's input.

Yes, two separate issues.

Looks like spa panel is the most economical choice by far. Thanks for everyone's input.
Please let us (me?) know how you make out in sourcing the Spa Panel. I wish you great success and if I can help with a diagram setup, please let me know.

P-J

Latest posts

Back