help with amana fridge coil design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer#19

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone in the community has the answer I'm looking for. Unfortunately, Google did not, just parts diagrams for the basic stuff.

I have an older amana fridge, tz18rl, fridge I'm converting to my next kegerator since the last one died. I'd like to locate the taps of the side rather than the door, but obviously I can't do this unless I safely know I'm not drilling through coils to do so. Anyone happen to have done this or know enough specifics about the coil design/location to advise for or against this?

If all else fails I will just stick with the door location. Thanks.

Prepare a solution of corn starch and alcohol (should be of paint consistency)...wipe the side of the fridge you want to use with the solution and turn the fridge on high...when it dries you will see the outline of the coils!

Actually because the coils are on the side, let the solution dry before turning on the refrigerator on high...the solution will run down if it isnt dry.

Just so I'm getting this right, mix corn starch and rubbing alcohol, paint it on the side of the fridge, let it dry, then turn the fridge on high?

Correct...after an hour you should see the outline of a coil (if present)....it took me a little while to find something on you tube, but this video (even though its on a mini fridge) should help:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back