Doh! I used flaked wheat instead of malted wheat...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newton

Reaction score
I'm a noob all grain brewer (4 batches). I brewed up my first wheat beer yesterday and everything went super smooth. My grain bill was for 6 lbs pale 2-row and 4lbs white wheat malt. Target OG was 1.057 and I got 1.055. The only potential problem is that I just realized that I used flaked wheat instead of malt--so I used 4lbs of flaked wheat. I was just looking at Palmer's "How to Brew" and in his wheat beer recipe he uses malted wheat and flaked wheat interchangeably. That brought me a sigh of relief. But what should I expect here? I obviously got a bunch of sugar out of the flaked stuff and the fermentation is going vigoursly. How does flaked wheat change the beer compared to malted wheat?

The flavor isn't all that different, but wheat malt is self-converting. At 40% of the bill, no problem.

Hey David, thanks for the response. I've found some old threads where people asked about this and evidently flaked wheat is supposed to take longer (i.e. 90 to 120 mash) and some 6 row for a good conversion. I did the standard 60 at 152 with single infusion and no 6 row and evidently the conversion went fine. Maybe I got lucky.....

Back